Promise Tutoring Program Founder: Camilla Taufic ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Sophomore Camilla Taufic’s tutoring program at Promise Academy at first seems like just one more volunteer opportunity at a school where community service is abundant. But the heart behind Taufic’s program makes it more than just another way to get involved.  She’s hoping to establish a lasting relationship between Rhodes and the Hollywood community, not hours on a time sheet.  Camilla is a Gerber-Taylor Fellow, and has started her very own tutoring program through the fellowship. The program is at Promise Academy and plans to works with first and second graders (and hopefully kindergarteners) to improve English and math skills.

Camilla Taufic came to Rhodes in 2009 from Darien, CT. She says she chose Rhodes because “the involvement outside of campus” appealed to her.

When she arrived at Rhodes, she began tutoring at Evergreen.  But Taufic remarks, “Tutoring started off as a sort of chore for me.”  Camilla tutored a young girl named Jewelia.  At first, Camilla would go to Evergreen once a week and would return to Rhodes as quickly as possible.  But over time, as Camilla and Jewelia got to know each other, a friendship formed. Camilla says, “Eventually conversation flowed from arithmetic, to family, to the latest Snowden Gossip.”  With this, Camilla saw progress in Jewelia’s report card as well as her everyday life.  Soon Camilla found herself going to Evergreen 3 times a week, for 2 hours at a time.

A year later, as she establishes her own tutoring program, Camilla says the biggest challenge of this project has been patience. She comments, “I have learned patience, at least greater patience than I had before.” But the benefits far outweigh the costs. Camilla says, “Promise kids have a lot going for them, a lot to show, and a lot to be proud of.” The kids at Promise face many challenges—many are from lower income families and many cannot pay for their daily lunches. But Camilla says, despite any obstacles, the kids are “hilarious, brilliant, and intrigued by the world around them.”

The program is not yet in full swing, but Camilla is already taking interested tutors. Already she has 20 volunteers, but she says she is “always looking for more!” I asked if interested students should have any skills or interests to get involved. Camilla remarked, “As college students, any knowledge or wisdom is more than valuable to these students.” Promise kids are already used to tutors, as Promise is a charter school, but Taufic believes this program will offer new benefits to the children.  This program will involve twice a week tutoring and will continuous. Taufic hopes this will make the focus not just academics, but relationships between Rhodes students and Promise students. Camilla says, “Tutoring is more than academics, it’s providing a constant and a companion for a child who may not have either.”

Camilla’s passion for the kids and the program is clear.  She strives for a program that will create a lasting and mutual admiration between the two schools and even more, the individuals in them.  Rhodes and Promise students may one day have Jewelia to thank for friendships that change their goals, perspectives, and their lives.

If you are interested in getting involved, contact Camilla at taucn@rhodes.edu.

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.