Popeyes Actually Served Champagne-Dipped and Gold-Coated Wings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

What is going on with chains these days? I mean, in the beginning of the summer, IHOP went through its IHOb phase, and on October 4, Popeyes, in honor of opening its 3000th restaurant, decided to serve champagne-dipped chicken wings coated with 24-karat edible gold flakes. Someone at Popeyes thought that chicken wasn’t good enough as it is, and the best way to improve it was to just give it a little golden sparkle. I don’t even eat chicken, but I can assure you that I would never think that out of all the herbs and spices that are actually food, the missing wow-factor in chicken at a fast food restaurant was gold.

Credit: CNBC

Still, Popeyes isn’t the first place to think of adding some glitz and glamor to a perfectly normal dish. For the past few years, restaurants have been adorning pizzas, sundaes, bagels, wings, and so much more with these edible 24-karat gold flakes. Of course, these dishes aren’t cheap; a pizza topped with gold–because pepperoni is so plebeian these days–costs $2,000 at the Industrial Kitchen in New York City. But not to worry, Popeyes has your back and knows that it’d be ridiculous to expect someone at a fast food restaurant to fork up a couple grand for some chicken, so instead, the chain expected only $5 for the six boneless, champagne-dipped and gold-coated wings with a choice of a side dish and a biscuit.

Credit: Town & Country Magazine

Unfortunately, this item is no longer on Popeyes’s menu anywhere since this deal was only meant as a one day affair at selected locations in New Orleans, LA; Elizabeth, NJ; New York City, NY; and Anaheim, CA. However, Popeyes is now thinking about offering these extravagant wings elsewhere again, so if you want to indulge in a taste of luxury with a side and a biscuit for only $5, cross your fingers and make a wish every night at 11:11, and maybe, just maybe, your dream will come true.