self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Dear JD,

As I sit here reflecting on the past years and what I have overcome, with your help, I am overwhelmed with emotion. It has been a crazy 6 years and oh, how grateful I am for you. When our first sessions began, you were confronted with an angry and hurt young girl, who refused to ask for help. Over our time together, you have helped me blossom into a new person, someone capable of love and happiness. 

At first, I didn’t believe in therapy or asking for help. I thought everyone had issues and should struggle silently. Don’t bother others. Don’t show emotion. Just suck it up. But, what I have come to learn is the struggle is what makes life more beautiful. Through pain and hurt, the clouds will part and the sun will shine a little brighter. I have learned that to show emotion doesn’t make you weak, instead, it makes you stronger. Together, we have confronted countless relationships, friendships, academic struggles, and the anxiety that makes me feel overwhelmed, but we have also rejoiced over small and large victories. You have taught me more than I ever thought possible: how to cope, how to communicate, and how to forgive, not only others but myself. 

Until recent weeks, I had not realized how much you had done to change my life. We had gone through ups and downs, periods where I would see you constantly and times where I would go months without a session. In May when I started seeing you again, I began to recognize that although I had made progress in the previous years, I still wanted and needed your help. For the past few months, I can see and feel the change in myself. I can recognize my own emotions and how to move forward, but it never fails to make me smile when I tell you about a small victory and you stand by and support me. You taught me to recognize my feelings, communicate it to those around me, and ground myself. You taught me to support myself but also know I can always ask for help.  

For the past 6 years, our relationship has evolved and has become a highlight of not only my week, but my life. I look forward to every session and now am the largest advocate for therapy and mental health. You have completely changed my life and I am forever grateful for your advice. I can say without a doubt, you saved my life at 14 and have shaped me into the woman I am today. 

With love and gratitude, 

Anonymous