This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

On Friday, February 22, 2019, a silent protest against sexual violence took place in the breezeway of Paul Barret, Jr. Library at Rhodes College. Taking place exactly one week since the last reported sexual assault on campus, a minute of silence was held for each of the reported sexual assaults this year as well as one minute for those that have gone unreported. Among those in attendance were the President of Rhodes College Dr. Marjorie Hass and the new Vice President of Strategic Initiatives Dr. Sherry Turner. The large turnout was due to word of mouth, social media, and posters that were hung up around campus the night before. All this, and a brewing rage among the student body for a lack of urgency and the lack of criminalization of those who assault.

Holding a large poster reading “We Stand With Survivors,” freshman Rosie Andrews read the date of each reported sexual assault as its minute of silence began. When asked what could be done better about this issue on campus, she replied: “Stricter punishments for acts of sexual violence would convey the intolerance of rape on campus. Expulsion would be a good start. Honor Code violations are given the utmost attention, and until recently sexual assaults tend to be swept under the rug.”

In the days leading up to the protest, after social media blew up with messages from the Rhodes Culture of Consent program and justified anger from waves of students, statements from Dr. Hass, RSG President Spencer Beckman, and the office of student life filled inboxes. This protest effectively brought together people to show support for survivors of sexual assault as well as show that sexual assault will NOT be condoned at Rhodes College. One is too many, five is too many. I am incredibly proud of my peers for showing their refusal to be cavalier about assault on our campus. We will not stop being angry until this ceases to occur.

All images courtesy of Megan Crouse

A connoisseur of books, fan of spicy foods, and a tea aficionado. She loves black coffee, groovy tunes, and justice.