A Northerner’s Guide to Surviving (And Enjoying!) Fall in the South

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Cool, crisp days. Leaves turning brilliant colors. These are essential parts of what we think of when we think “Fall”. At least, they are in some places. Where I’m from in Ohio, these are defining qualities of the fall season, as they are in most of the slightly more northern areas of the country. Going to Rhodes and spending the fall in Memphis means that the fall months look completely different from the season I recognize. It was 100 degrees the other day, and it will be a long time before the weather isn’t hot on a consistent basis. 

The drastically different weather means it’s sometimes not possible to celebrate the season the way I’m used to. Fall clothing items like sweaters, boots, long-sleeved dresses, scarves, etc. are out of the question (unless you want to sweat yourself into a puddle of despair). This is especially frustrating as we watch the release of fall collections in our favorite shops, knowing we won’t be able to wear any of it for months. 

Then there’s seasonal drinks. You really don’t want to drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte or a Caramel Apple Spice when it’s 100 degrees and humid.Yet nothing makes you feel more festive than one of these fall-themed drinks! At home in the fall we go apple picking. Well, the beloved tradition isn’t happening in Memphis. The heat here down south is such a thorn in our sides, because it would be incredibly nice to be able to wear makeup without quickly sweating it off, or wear your hair down without feeling like you’re suffocating. 

There are a lot of frustrating aspects of spending fall in the south, but they don’t have to ruin all your fun. Here are some ways to enjoy fall, even when the weather is making it hard to do.

1. For most people, fall scents are essential to the season. Pumpkin, Apple cinnamon, and other autumnal scents can make even a hot day feel a little more seasonally appropriate. Try candles, room fragrances, or, if you’re allergic to artificial fragrance like me, essential oils. 

Here’s an essential oil blend for a festive small scent:

• 2 drops Orange essential oil
  • 1 drop Cinnamon essential oil
  • 1 drop Clove essential oil
  • 5 drops Vanilla essential oil

2. Reflect the season in your makeup and nails!

Makeup

• Dark or berry toned lips
    • Lighter / more natural version: 

• Darker, more dramatic version (darker shade with a more matte finish):

• Berry hued eyeshadows

• Orangey/warm brown eyeshadow

• Slightly smokier eyeliner

• Warm neutrals for blush

• Warm metallics, like rose gold or copper
    • Subtle

• Bold

• More matte finishes than are typical for summer

• Nails
    • Dark colors

• Warm tones

• Browns and taupes

• Muted orangey-spicy shades

• Navy, burgundy, or hunter green

3. Make those fall drinks work! If you’re seriously dedicated to your PSL or seasonal hot drink of choice, drink it in a car with the AC on full blast.

4. Festive home decor can give you that fall feeling regardless of the temperature outside. Especially pay attention to the Target dollar spot. You can find some really cute fall decor for not much money. The sooner you check, the better, because it can get picked over when it’s been a long while since the items were released.

5. Reflect the season in your personal style, to the extent that the weather will allow. Lightweight, short-sleeved, and shorts or shorter skirts can be made considerably more festive when you wear them in fall colors and patterns.

• Plaid

• Burgundy

• Dark green
    • An option for any formals or date nights you may have:
  • Mustard yellow

• Spice orange

• Navy blue

• Corduroy skirts

6. Pumpkin, apple, or cinnamon related foods aren’t restricted to cool weather. Go nuts.

7. Just having an actual pumpkin in your room / home can make it feel more seasonal and cheerful

I hope you all will enjoy this season, whether you’re up north or in the south. We won’t let the weather get us down.