Netflix is Unleashing a New Generation of Iconic Romantic Comedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Ah, summer. What a prime time for finding that someone who makes the long, hot days seem worthwhile—or if you’re anything like me, what a prime time to stay inside and watch some cheesy yet lovable rom-coms. This summer, Netflix was my go-to with its newest original releases, particularly, The Kissing Booth, Set It Up, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, and Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, and I’m about to give you my two cents about all of them.

**Since these movies are labeled as rom-coms, I assume that you can pretty much figure out their general endings; however, if you’ve never seen a rom-com (which if you haven’t, who even are you?), this is my formal ~spoiler~ alert just in case I accidentally allude to something, but I promise I will try my best not to spoil the details.**

The Kissing Booth (May 11)

Credit: Seventeen

Elle (Joey King) and Lee (Joel Courtney), two lifelong BFFs, organize a kissing booth for a school fundraiser. At the booth, Lee’s older brother, the divinely attractive Noah (Jacob Elordi), kisses Elle! But here’s the scandal—Elle and Lee have a strict rule of not dating relatives, so if you’re starting to get forbidden romance vibes, you’re not wrong. Naturally, this trope was what originally drew me into what I knew was going to be a cheesy, clichéd hot mess. And, listen, I have no problem with cheesiness or clichés— call it a guilty pleasure or low standards—but I do have a problem with some of the overarching themes of this movie. For instance, the two brothers are incredibly possessive and controlling of Elle in the name of being “protective,” and Elle is constantly objectified throughout the film. I could go on, but I’ll spare you today. If you’re truly interested, hit up your friend Google or watch the movie because why not? After all, there is an inexplicable hype around this movie, so maybe you’re one of those people who belongs to that sentiment. I, however, don’t get the hype.

(Fun fact: The Kissing Booth is based off a Wattpad story of the same name, written by Beth Reekles when she was only fifteen!)

Set It Up (June 15)

Credit: Vulture

Now, unlike The Kissing Booth, this movie deserves so much hype. Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch have so much chemistry that I’ve gotten chills the multiple times I’ve watched it. The plot goes something like this: Harper (Zoey Deutch) and Charlie (Glen Powell), two exhausted assistants, try to set up their demanding bosses in hopes alleviating some of their own work-induced stresses. In the process of their scheme, the two bond, and–I won’t give it away, I think you know where I’m going with this. It’s a classic rom-com, definitely worth your viewing. I mean, just take a moment to take in the amazingness of this quote from the movie, “You like someone because of their good qualities. You love someone despite their flaws.”

Woah there, Netflix, look at you getting deep on me. Seriously, watch Set It Up; it’s incredibly well-written and well-done. I’ll probably watch it tonight once I’m done writing this because I have so much love for this movie.

Also, if you love seeing Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch on a shared screen (and you will after seeing this movie), I recommend Everybody Wants Some; supposedly, while filming this movie, the two realized that they wanted to star in a rom-com together, so thank the heavens this movie exists because without it, Set It Up would not have been the same.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (August 17)

Credit: Glamour

So after watching Set It Up, I was convinced that Netflix would never again live up to itself, but then came To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, and oh my goodness gracious, what a movie! Basic plot line: Lara Jean (Lana Condor) has written five secret love letters to her crushes over the past few years, and somehow, the letters, which were meant to be for her own personal catharsis, are mailed. Oh no! Could you imagine? One of the recipients is Lara Jean’s long-time friend/older sister’s ex-boyfriend Josh (Israel Broussard)–dun dun dun— but to prevent any drama with her sister and Josh, Lara Jean stages a fake relationship with another letter recipient, a little cutie patootie named Peter (Noah Centineo). What ensues is an adorably heart-warming tale of young love, and in light of The Kissing Booth, this is a teenage movie done right. As Lara Jean matures throughout the movie, she inspires a message of confidence, making it another well-written and well-done movie, up to par with Set It Up. It’s definitely worthy of my many viewings, one of which will be tonight, and your future viewing, which should be ASAP!

Sierra Burgess Is a Loser (September 9)

Credit: Screen Rant

After watching the gloriousness of Set It Up and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, my hopes were set high for Netflix’s latest release. After all, Shannon Purser from Stranger Things and Noah Centineo from To All the Boys, both of whom are fabulous in their own right, were set to star. Nevertheless, this movie was incredibly problematic. The premise of this movie is that a smart, unpopular Sierra (Shannon Purser) receives a text from football player Jamey (Noah Centineo), who believes he is texting the popular and beautiful Veronica (Kristine Froseth). One might think this could lead to sweet messages exchanged between two anonymous parties–something along the lines of You Got Mail or Love, Simon. But no, what ends up happening is straight up cat fishing, taken to the extreme as Sierra convinces Veronica to go along with her plot in exchange for tutoring. I won’t spoil the details, but by the end of the movie, I was not rooting for Sierra in any way. I couldn’t get behind the plot in the slightest, especially because of the lack of consequences for Sierra’s wrongdoings. But I believe that the intentions of this movie were good, as its slogan reads, “Just be you.” However, the message falls completely flat as it negates any message of body positivity with lines like, “Your looks are the least ugly thing about you.” I mean, Sierra is a beautiful girl; why does Netflix harp on the idea that she is ugly? Overall, I found the movie to be cringey and disappointing. The only reason why I could imagine why you would want to see this movie is to witness how bad it is.

**So to sum it all up: watch Set It Up and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before for sure, watch The Kissing Booth if you have nothing better to do, and watch Sierra Burgess Is a Loser if you want to see a bad movie.**