Music Masher, Mixer, and Maker: Kyle Wukasch ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Senior Kyle Wukasch, a mixer, masher, producer, pianist, and rare record collecter, has made a name for himself on the Rhodes College campus. Kyle tells us about his music, his style, and future plans.

Q. How did you get into music?

A. “My cousins from Toronto introduced me to hip hop at a pretty young age, so I credit them with whatever interest I have now in mixing music. I’ve been “DJing” for about 2 years now. I bought my first set of turntables about 4 years ago and ever since I’ve been picking up whatever rare vinyl I can find. It’s more of a hobby than anything else.”

Q. Do you make your own music?

A. “For sure. I’m classically trained on the piano. But I’ve been making my own beats on and off for roughly two years now. Producing music takes a lot of time, so I’m hoping to dedicate much more of time to it after graduation.”

Q. How have you used this talent in the context of Rhodes?

A. “I’ve done a couple fundraising events on campus, but mostly frat parties. Shouts out to SAE.”

Q. Do you hope to pursue a career in music?

A. “When I was 12-years-old my parents were convinced I was going to be a concert pianist. I’m not sure they think that anymore…Originally when I came to Rhodes I was set on attending to law school or something of the like, but a couple summers ago I attended a progressive electronic arts and media festival in Barca, Spain called Sonar Fest. To say the least, Sonar completely changed my life. From that point on I knew that music was ultimately what I wanted to pursue. Thank you, Aeroplane.”

Q. What’s your favorite thing about Rhodes?

A. Class with Professor Shade.

Q. What’s it like DJing Rhodes parties?

A. Each party has its moments I guess. I’m just glad I get to expose people to different genres of music. That’s what I like most.

Here is a playlist he put together just for Her Campus readers:

1. Katy B – Katy On a Mission
  2. Magnetic Man – I Need Air feat. Angela Hunte
  3. Uffie – Add SUV (Armand Van Helden Vocal Remix)
  4. Lykke Li – I Follow Rivers (The Magician Remix)
  5. Cut Copy – Take Me Over (Mylo Remix)
  6. Crystal Fighters – Follow
  7. Javelin – Vibrationz
  8. Daft Punk – Fresh
  9. SebastiAn – Embody
  10. Cassius – I love U So
  11. Lindstrøm & Christabelle  – Baby Can’t Stop
Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.