This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Hello ladies and gents! As you all know, these past few weeks have been rough for our nation. In the wake of the Kavanaugh confirmation, I think it only appropriate that we stay especially aware of our rights as women. As I was participating in one of my favorite pastimes–scrolling through my options on Netflix–I came across a Netflix original (side note: these keep getting better and better!) that seemed pertinent to our national discourse at the moment. Reversing Roe is a documentary depicting the history surrounding the 1973 Texas court case Roe v. Wade from directors Annie Sundberg and Ricki Stern.

This film provides a thorough look at the events and debate leading up to this case as well as the impact it has had up until today. Prior to Roe v. Wade only white women with money could afford to choose whether or not to become a mother, leaving countless minority, working-class women with the only alternative of unsafe, often deadly at-home terminations of pregnancy. Something notable was the inclusion of voices from both sides of the argument, including voices from experts in fields relevant to the subject matter. There were stories from gynecologists and medical professionals who had worked in the abortion field decades ago in addition to some that practice today. Their experiences with the backlash from providing women with safe, sterile medical care were striking and awfully similar today as it was decades ago. On the other hand, there were voices of outspoken evangelicals and pro-life movement leaders (almost always both) who actively work(ed) to stop “baby-killers.” 

Overall, Reversing Roe provides a full picture of what the consequences of this case have been as well as what the consequences may be if laws restricting individual liberty continue to slowly eat away at the freedom Roe provided women. I would highly recommend this film to anyone looking to know more about the importance of this case as well as the significance of the abortion debate in general.

10/10 choice if you’re looking to procrastinate. 

-MP

A connoisseur of books, fan of spicy foods, and a tea aficionado. She loves black coffee, groovy tunes, and justice.