This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Even though I just moved to Memphis about a month ago, the Memphis coffee scene is one that is near and dear to my heart. Coffee shops have always held such a special place in my life, and I love when I find the perfect one. There’s no feeling like nestling into a comfy corner, reading a good book, getting my homework done, and working on my blog– all in a welcoming and beautiful environment with a yummy latte. And maybe even a chocolate chip cookie! While I used to try and curb my latte habit, I now see it as a special part of my day when I am productive and enjoying myself. So, with my love for beautiful coffee shops out in the open, I am going to list a couple of my favorite Memphis coffee shops and what makes each of them so special!

City & State is the spot I frequent most often and is probably my favorite. The baristas are so welcoming and there’s a lot of light in the room, making it feel inviting and warm. I’m not sure if I love it so much because it’s the first coffee shop I visited in Memphis or because it’s the closest to Rhodes, but either way it’s the one that makes me feel most at home. 

City & State has a couple of staples that stay year-round, and they change their seasonal menu every 3 months. Personally, I’m a big fan of the Bon Bon latte, which has sweetened condensed milk, a shot of espresso, and steamed milk. It’s just sweet enough without having any added syrups. When I visited last week with my friends Caroline and Madeleine, Caroline got the salted caramel latte with oat milk, which I tried and was super yummy! I’ve heard City & State described as a “Nashville coffee shop” but really it’s a Memphis coffee shop, and that’s why it’s so great. You really can’t go wrong here.

Another Memphis staple is Muddy’s Bakery + Coffee Shop. The second that you walk in,= it smells like your grandmother’s kitchen and it reminds me of home and freshly baked cookies! I love ordering a chai latte in one of their gnome-themed mugs and settling down in a comfortable chair to talk to a friend. While City & State has more of a focused study vibe, Muddy’s is more of a place where you want to settle in for a good conversation. You can definitely do your homework and concentrate, but it just feels more homey than City & State. 

If you decide to stop by, I suggest their matcha or chai lattes and a lemon cupcake.

Lastly, a new coffee shop that I visited just last week is Java Cabana. This one definitely has a more hip vibe and reminds me a lot of a coffee shop in a TV show. There’s even a thrift shop in the back! It’s sort of unreal. My friend Mollie and I went there last week to study, and were entranced by the stellar music choices and cool clothes in the back. I ordered a vanilla latte because it’s my go-to, but honestly their entire menu looked really good. I’m looking forward to going back and trying something new. Java Cabana is definitely the smallest coffee shop listed in this article, but it’s also the most intimate. You’ll leave feeling inspired and also caffeinated! 

Hi there! I'm a freshman at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN and I love a good coffee shop, my sweet kitten, and female friendships.