This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The first spotlight in my new Meet the Greeks series shines on the current president of the Rhodes College Kappa Omicron chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi. Any introduction I could write for Sara Taylor would be inherently biased considering how much I adore and appreciate her hard work and dedication to her chapter. So without further ado, meet Sara Taylor! 

MP: What inspired you to be president of the Kappa Omicron chapter of AOII?

ST: Well, beyond truly loving our chapter, I had been a member of our executive board for a year and at the end, I just had so many ideas and things I wanted for Kappa Omicron. President seemed like the best chance for me to implement those and do my part for AOII.

Has holding this role been anything like what you imagined it to be?

It’s 50/50 to be honest. The week to week duties––answering emails, planning chapter meetings, getting with officers about their events––are very predictable. However, these last three months have taught me that organizing a group of over 100 people has its challenges. However, I love being kept on my toes and have never regretted my decision to run. 

What has been the most rewarding part of being president of your sorority?

I feel like I’m doing something. When I stand up at chapter or when I pass a sister on campus and receive a smile, it makes me feel good to know I’m doing my part for Kappa Omicron. I believe in this organization that provides a space for women to find like-minded friends and encouragement during their undergraduate years.

What has been the most challenging part of your job?

I think what I have encountered the most is differing opinions in the chapter. My job is to make everyone comfortable and as content with AOII as possible but I find that sometimes it is a difficult balancing act. 

In what ways do you hope the chapter benefits from your presidency?

I want to leave a stronger AOII behind. I’ve worked within our executive board to improve the way we plan events and hold officers accountable for their responsibilities. In my opinion, a stronger infrastructure makes for a stronger organization and stronger members. I want members to feel confident in this sisterhood. AOII should be a part of college that members look back on fondly, and it’s my job to work towards that during my year as president. 

In what ways would you say AOII stands out on campus?

It’s ironic now because I spent most of my time on AOII related things, but when I joined I was drawn to the chapter because so many women seemed to be involved on campus outside of the sorority. They were the heads of other organizations, they were the women at the top of their class, and they were out in the Memphis community. I witness every day that this is still the case. AOII women at Rhodes have so much passion and that translates in their involvement on and off campus. When I look at our members that’s what stands out to me.   

Are there any stereotypes about greek life in general or AOII that you think are correct/incorrect?

I would never argue that there aren’t stereotypes about Greek women because I once believed them myself. But Rhodes Greek life is very unique. I’ve never felt like I had to fit myself into a mold to be a Greek woman. I can still put my education first. I never feel the need to buy certain clothes. I’m not defined by the letters on my t-shirt. From the outside looking in, I sometimes feel like the campus puts us into these molds because they don’t have the opportunity to see what we do as members of Greek life: we are all different with a variety of aspirations, opinions, and experiences. 

Overall, would you recommend someone who is not in Greek life at Rhodes to join? What do they have to gain? 

My bias is obvious, but yes, I think Greek life can be invaluable for collegiate women. I’m a first-generation college student and the environment of Greek life at Rhodes has furthered my opinion that educated women are absolutely unstoppable. This community is strong, intelligent, and energetic and I think every woman can grow in this setting that has been so empowering to me.   

Do you have any advice for the future president of AOII here at Rhodes?

I think the future president should remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Sometimes it feels like things aren’t happening or we are at a standstill, but I promise in the long term you are doing your part. A year seems like a long time but really it’s just a moment for a chapter that is quickly approaching its centennial anniversary––a testament of hard work to all past presidents, officers, and members I would say.

And a few questions just for fun…

What was the last book you read? Would you recommend it?

Origin by Dan Brown. He is one of my top five favorite authors and this was his latest installment. Rather than gush about it indefinitely (because I can) I’ll just say––READ. IT.

What song are you listening to on repeat right now?

Oh Lord. I’m only a little hesitant to admit I can’t stop listening to Sucker. 

Summer plans?

I will be in Washington D.C. doing student volunteer service for the Economic Development Administration, a branch of the U.S. Department of Commerce. More specifically, I am working with the multi-agency initiative, the Americas Competitiveness Exchange, and planning their 2020 summit in Denver between Colorado and Chile.

Other clubs/extracurriculars you’re involved with on campus?

I head the annual Midsouth Model UN conference hosted at Rhodes for high-schoolers from several states. I’m also a member of the First Book Club and the Society of World Affairs Today. 

Major/Minors? Career Plans? What year are you?

I’m a rising senior with an International Studies major and a minor in Business. Current career plans include foreign service, preferably after a master’s degree. Obviously, this is subject to change. 

A connoisseur of books, fan of spicy foods, and a tea aficionado. She loves black coffee, groovy tunes, and justice.