An Interview with Dean Wigginton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

After serving as a highly respected faculty member and senior administrator over his 21-year professional career at Rhodes, Dr. Russell Wigginton was appointed by President Marjorie Hass as the new Dean of Students and Vice President of Student Life in August, 2017. As a Rhodes Alum from the Class of 1988, Dr. Wigginton has a deep understanding of the Rhodes experience, and knows what it’s like to be a student at Rhodes. In honor of his new position, I decided to interview Dr. Wigginton so that the Rhodes community might get to know him a little bit better. 

Name: Russell Thomas Wigginton, Jr.

Position/title at Rhodes: VP for Student Life & Dean of Students

Hometown: Louisville, KY

Beth Trueman (BT): When did you first come to Rhodes?

Dr. Russell Wigginton (RW): I first came to Rhodes in the fall of 1984 as a student.

BT: What did you study?

RW: My major was History. Minors did not exist when I was a student, but if we had one, mine would have been Business. 

BT: How was being a Rhodes student in 1984 different from today?

RW: Rhodes was different in many ways in 1984. The campus was much smaller with about 1200-1300 students. Additionally, the student make-up was not as diverse by any measure as it relates to geography, ethnicity, or race. The college was not as engaged with the Memphis community. Lastly, the campus did not have a fence or gate around it. 

BT: What is your favorite Rhodes tradition?

RW: I always like to see the Senior class walk across the seal at graduation.

Dean Wigginton and former Rhodes President Bill Troutt

BT: What three things would you bring on a deserted island?

RW: W.E.B. Dubois’ “Souls of Black Folk,” family photos, and water.

BT: In the spirit of the holiday season, do you have a favorite Christmas movie?

RW: A Charlie Brown Christmas!

BT: Who is your favorite musician and what is your favorite song by them? 

RW: John Coltrane, “Equinox”

*Note: I listened to the song as I was typing up this article. 10/10 would recommend. 

BT: Name one of your favorite memories of your time at Rhodes.  

RW: I was given a surprise 50th birthday party by work colleagues. It was a total surprise! The most prominent part of the party that stands out to me is being totally surprised. I had no idea!! The party was very thoughtfully done in a very personal manner as it relates to who I am and how I am and how others experience and relate to me. It definitely made me more reflective on my relationship with people at the college and the college in general. It was a wonderful mix of staff, faculty, and students that represented the entire community.

Dr. Wigginton (top right) and family

BT: What makes Rhodes unique?  

RW: Rhodes is unique in the way the students integrate Memphis into their overall education. Students integrate in Memphis when they make their decision to attend Rhodes. Rhodes College’s location in Memphis contributes to student’s decisions to attend. When students decide to attend Rhodes, they actually see themselves as part of Memphis. 

BT: Do you have a favorite restaurant in Memphis?

RW: Felicia Suzanne’s

BT: What are your long-term goals as the Dean of Students? 

RW:  I will work to align with Academic Affairs to help students reach their full potential.

BT: What is your favorite thing about the Rhodes community?  

RW: I’ve found that people in the Rhodes Community have an overall sense of decency and respect for one another.

BT: If you could say one thing to the Rhodes Student body, what would it be?  

RW: Recognize that life’s journey is a marathon and not a sprint; pause and smell the roses along the way.