Wellness > Health

How To Practice Self Love This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The mention of Valentine’s Day in Elementary School brings visions of crafty decorated shoeboxes filled with only the best Disney themed Valentines your mom picked up for your class from Target. In Middle School, I remember frequent Valentine’s fundraisers, where you could receive candy and a note from your best friend, yourself, or maybe even that ~secret admirer~ that never really existed. Back then, Valentine’s Day was, more than anything, a time to show love to others, especially your family, best friends, your dog, and even yourself. I’ve always loved the holiday, as it seems to serve as a reminder to show love to those that you care about.

However, pretty soon after the days of cheap shoebox notes and stale heart candies were gone, Valentine’s Day became synonymous with romance and relationships. For many, it becomes a time of sadness and loneliness, as the real meaning of the holiday has been lost somewhere in the shuffle. Some might not have anyone to share it with, whether that person is a romantic partner, best friend, or even family. One person that you always have and need to show love to is yourself, so if you’re feeling a little down with the idea of February 14th getting closer and closer, here’s a few ways that you can celebrate self love this Valentine’s Day. Because after all, who’s to say that the someone special in your life can’t be yourself?

Take Care Of Yourself

Whenever I’m feeling down about myself or the world around me, one of my favorite things to do is go for a run. Although many times we relate exercise to sheer torture and self loathing, this is one of the best ways to get alone time, and focus an hour on yourself! There are so many places in Memphis to get outside and go for a run or walk, and along with that, most exercise studios offer a first class for free, perfect for when you need an escape from the gym.

Image Credit: Tenor

Practice Acceptance

Even if you’re the most confident person in the world, we all have those days where we feel like we just can’t do anything right. When this happens, it’s important to remember all the things you love about yourself. It’s so easy to focus on the negative and forget about the positive, but to practice acceptance on this Valentine’s Day, try writing down ten things you love about yourself, whether it’s your actions, appearance, or personality traits.

Write Letters

To go along with doing something nice for someone else, writing letters to people, or even myself, is something I love to do. I usually do this by journaling, but there’s no way to describe how relieved and relaxed getting your thoughts out will make you feel. If you’re anxious, write about it, and sometimes just seeing it on paper makes you feel a little better. No matter what mood you’re in, writing letters to other people will, once again, make you feel good, and make them feel loved, too. Even if you don’t deliver them, it’s another way to realize all the love you have around you.

Image Credit: Pexels

Do Something Nice For Someone Else

Although this article is centered around self care, doing something nice for someone else will not only make their day, but you’re going to be more likely to feel better as well. Who has ever felt bad about themselves for helping someone else? Whether this is volunteering somewhere, giving a friend a ride, or paying for someone’s coffee, it’ll make you and the person you’re helping feel good.

Treat Yo Self

Tom Haverford has never uttered a truer statement! Sometimes, all you need is a little pampering. Whether this is treating yourself to a new outfit or a manicure, a gift to yourself is always well received.

Image Credit: Tenor

Find Your Girl Gang

One of the easiest ways to feel loved for me is to spend time with the friends who love me unconditionally, and are always there to hype me up. Although it’s called ~self care~, there’s no one that knows you like your best friends do. I feel infinitely loved when I’m around the girls that always have my back, and I know they can always cheer me up, even on the worst of days. So, go grab your gals and have a galentine’s day, courtesy of Leslie Knope herself!

Image Credit: Giphy

Katie Seage

Rhodes '22

just doing my best