“Gruesome Playground Injuries” at the McCoy: An Interview with Director Josh Ortega

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

On October 4th, 6th and 7th, Rhodes Theater Guild presented the student-directed play “Gruesome Playground Injuries” by Pulitzer Prize finalist Rajiv Joseph at the McCoy Theater, featuring William McLain (Doug) and Cameron Crawford (Kayleen), who faced the challenge of carrying a two hour-long production as just a duo.

“Gruesome” is not a regular love story. As a child, Doug—with an injured head that’s the result of a bicycle trick gone awry—meets Kayleen—who has a bad stomach ache—in their school nurse’s office. Over three decades, they bond and clash and bond again. Their unconventional relationship twists and turns as they each deal with the realities of life—heartbreak, loneliness, self-harm, abuse, and healing.

First-time director Josh Ortega (2020) is a Physics-Theater double major who came across “Gruesome Playground Injuries” while taking a directing class with Professor Joy Fairfield.  

Her Campus Rhodes: How did you choose “Gruesome Playground Injuries?”

JOSH ORTEGA: It was really well-written in my opinion. I enjoyed how everything tied together really well—I enjoy that sort of tight writing. I think it also covers a lot of issues that are close to a lot of college-age people’s hearts.

HCR: What themes in “Gruesome” struck you?

JO: The themes of mutual support combined with self-destructive tendencies. I think a lot of people are really good at taking care of other people, and not themselves. That was a big one. Self-harm, to a certain extent, was in there too.

HCR: What was it like working with William and Cameron?

JO: It was a lot of fun. They’re both fantastic people. Rehearsals were silly and chaotic, and it was great.

HCR: What is the best part of directing?

JO: You get to make all the decisions. Like, part of the reason I really wanted to do it was because I’ve done a lot of other random theater stuff, and whenever a scene was going on, I would always have different opinions about what was happening. Like, what if they did this or that instead? And I decided I might as well just direct because I can just make all of those choices.

HCR: What is the most difficult part of directing?

JO: It’s a lot of footwork and planning, and it’s just a huge amount of time. You also have to have a good understanding of the artistic and symbolic sides of [theater] as well as the very technical and administrative side—so I get to schedule set construction and also understand that this thing in Scene II symbolizes this other thing. It’s a lot of prep work and understanding different areas.

HCR: What do you hope people take away from the show?

JO: That was a good show. (laughs, takes a minute to think.) I guess, be aware of how you’re supporting each other.

A lot of the show has some genuine stuff in it, but some of it is about doing things for questionable reasons and questionable motives. Like, a lot of Doug’s actions are—sometimes it’s good! Sometimes it’s really really questionable. You need to think about exactly what his motives are.

So support each other, but be aware of doing it for the right reasons also.

Coming 2018-2019 to the McCoy

Fabulation or, the Re-Education of Undine  November 9 & 10, 15-18

Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change (2018) — February 15 & 16, 21-24

Rose and the Rime — April 5 & 6, 11-14

Tara is an English major, co-host of "Did I Shave My Legs for This" on Rhodes Radio, and college advisor for the Gender & Sexuality cohort at Bridge Builders CHANGE in Memphis, TN. They have been published in The Bridge Street Paper, the Rhodes College Sou'Wester, and Nightlight Digital Magazine.