Ghost Photoshoots: A Welcome To Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

With Halloween less than a month away, spooky season is officially in full swing. On many social media platforms, the spirit of Halloween is expressed by a trend where people dress as ghosts, accessorizing with sunglasses, amongst other things, and take photos pretty much anywhere.

My friend and I, being Halloween aficionados and bored on a dreary Friday, decided to take part in this trend, and it was an experience like no other.

With sheets and accessories in tow, we arrived at a local park, ready to make a fool of ourselves. We chose not to cut holes in our sheets to preserve their practical usage but quickly ran into some sight-related issues. When you have the sheet on, it’s impossible to see, and putting the sheet on is a battle all on its own., making the ten seconds we had before the timer went off tense: filled with clicking the button, running to your spot, putting your sheet on properly, and putting on any accessories.

Despite the chaos involved and the weird looks from strangers, the photos turned out spectacular. We ended up with over four hundred photos, some quality Instagram posts, a TikTok, and way too much fun.

Doing this ghost photoshoot was a well-deserved break from school and the monotony of life right now. It allowed me to be carefree, even if it was just for a few hours.

I urge all of you to participate in this trend. Doing something out of the ordinary, amid everything being ordinary all the time, is freeing. So grab your sheet and your phone and make the most of this Halloween!  

Merrill Fitts is a first-year at Rhodes college. She is originally from Alabama and is a big fan of The Price is Right, Queer media, and the cut out of Nicolas Cage's face on her wall.