Frankie Dakin: Political Economy Major Putting Study into Practice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

While most other college students spent January 1st piecing together the escapades from the night before and nursing headaches, junior political economy major Frankie Dakin was being sworn into office.

Dakin is the youngest ever Alderman for Millington, a suburb about 20 minutes from Rhodes. He started his campaign this summer after a bribery scandal involving the Millington Mayor, Robert Hodges. “I figured now was the best time as ever to try to make a change,” he explained.

As soon as he pulled his petition to run last March, Dakin went into full throttle campaigning mode. There wasn’t a party, meeting or dinner in Millington that he didn’t attend to meet with the residents of Millington. “Honestly,” he said, “I shook so many hands it’s a miracle I didn’t get the flu.” Signs, meet-and-greets and flyers started in May and didn’t slow down until election day. By the end of the summer, Dakin and his group of Central High School friends who comprised his support system had knocked on over 2,700 doors. “I’d like to say it was like the movies,” Dakin said, “kissing babies and stuff, but in reality most days I felt more like a magazine salesman walking the streets.”

But for Dakin, the people of Millington were worth it. “Millington’s diversity of perspectives is really the wealth of the community,” he said. “I feel so blessed that I was able to grow up in that community, and even more blessed to be able to serve it now.” Dakin was elected August 2nd, and had his first official meeting as Alderman on January 8th.

The first item on Dakin’s to-do list is a police reform: “If I’m going to start with something,” he said, “I might as well start with a department of guys that could beat me up.” The police reform includes more citizen oversight, more competitive pay structure, and increases in professional standard. Additionally, Dakin hopes to create better recreational opportunities for young people, incentives for businesses that will attract young families, and much more.

In addition to spending about twenty hours a week completely Alderman duties, Dakin is a full time student, an RA, member of the Sigma Nu Fraternity, and volunteer at Lynx Club Special Olympics. “It took my two years, but I think I’ve finally found the organizations I want to devote my time to.”

His favorite restaurant is Old Timers in Millington, and his favorite movie is anything from the Harry Potter saga. If he could have one super power, it would be flying. His advice for aspiring young politicians? “Just get out and do it. You have to be ready to learn and adjust, but don’t take a backseat to any gray haired guy that thinks he can do better than you.”

A sassy small-town blogger who thinks she's a princess and loves the color pink.
Priscilla is a senior at Rhodes College, a liberal arts college located in Memphis, TN. She intends on majoring in Commerce & Business and minoring in International Studies. She currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief & Her Campus Rhodes Campus Correspondent. In addition to working on the Her Campus Rhodes team, Priscilla is a sister of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, Rhodes College Diplomat, Rhodes Activities Board representative, and a Rhodes Peer Assistant. She loves flowers, hiking, cooking, music, hanging out with friends and exploring good Memphis eats!