jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Podcasts You Should be Listening to Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

For when the music gets to be too much, here are five podcast suggestions for your commute home:

My Favorite Murder

As the first podcast I listened to, and the one that really got me hooked on them, My Favorite Murder has a soft spot in my heart. A true crime podcast, the two hosts, Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, each pick a lesser-known, unbelievable murder to discuss every week. There are many true crime podcasts that achieve this same goal, and consist of the same theme, but what make MFM different is the candor Kilgariff and Hardstark display in each of their episodes. Both of the hosts are transparent in talking about mental health issues, addiction, and political turmoil. While this is technically a true crime podcast, I leave each episode learning about new current events, and double checking to make sure my doors are locked.

Serial

Serial has gotten high acclaim all around the nation, with many listeners referring to it as their “gateway podcast.” Another true crime podcast, Serial differs from My Favorite Murder in that each season focuses in on a single crime. It comes from the creators of This American Life, another podcast that has gotten high marks of praise. In fact, it has reached so much popularity that one of the crimes outlined in the podcast is being revisited, and brought back to trial. Although I haven’t gotten to deep into Serial, I have heard amazing things about it, and am already looking forward to listening to it the next time I make a long drive. If this sounds appealing to you, just know that while all other podcasts on this list are free on Spotify, this one can be found through the Podcasts app on the iPhone.

Pod Save America

Pod Save America is a progressive, liberal podcast that airs bi-weekly, hosted by four of Barack Obama’s former staff members; Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Tommy Vietor, and Dan Pfeiffer. Pod Save America provides a humorous, lighthearted look on politics in a way that both political junkies and those who aren’t as up-to-date on current events can learn and enjoy. The hosts of the podcast describe it as an “unbiased, not so serious, and not always right” recap of the current events of our country in a way that the listeners will have the ability to form opinions and share ideas.

TED Talks Daily

Because sometimes you just want to learn about how coffee is made, or about librarians and overdue book fines, but you don’t have twenty minutes to watch a full talk, that’s where TED Talks Daily comes in! These podcasts are published every weekday, and feature audio versions of some of the latest TED Talks. These are perfect for when you need a short something to listen to, or when you’re tired of your usual playlist on your drive.

Conspiracy Theories

Relatively new in the podcast world, Conspiracy Theories airs weekly, and focuses on a different, popular conspiracy theory each week. Some episodes include the JFK Assassination, the death of Marilyn Monroe, and the secretive Freemason’s Guild. It can’t necessarily be grouped into the genre of true crime, but it certainly does give off the same air. From the tone, background music, and the subjects discussed, Conspiracy Theories is a podcast that will have you questioning the world around you, what exists and what doesn’t, and what to believe.

Katie Seage

Rhodes '22

just doing my best