samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Fashion Spotlight: Krissy Wechsler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

What does fashion mean to Krissy?

Fashion is a way for me to express how I feel. If I feel more edgy on one day, I can wear clothes that represent my edginess by wearing things like a pair of black jeans with my black shoes and pairing the outfit with big, silver statement jewelry pieces. And when I feel girly, I typically resort to wearing straight-leg jeans, a colorful top, and some dainty jewelry. It’s light and fun and makes me feel girlier. 

What is one staple piece in your wardrobe that you can’t live without?

My accessories! Earrings specifically. I think that my earrings change the whole vibe of my outfit and they make my outfit complete. Earrings connect me the most to my femininity and they make me feel empowered. I remember telling my friend how sometimes, I contemplate shaving all my hair off so I can emphasize how amazing and obnoxiously my earrings are but then I snap back into reality and realize that probably isn’t the best idea! 

How do you feel about societal stigmas regarding overly exposed skin? 

COMPLETELY overrated. I feel like I should be able to show as much or as little skin as I feel comfortable with. Women should have a choice in everything that they do and that’s one way we can take control of our bodies. I’m from Georgia and the dress code at my school was to dress respectfully, and for me, dressing respectfully meant dressing in what I felt I was comfortable in.  

What is your favorite clothing brand?

I actually don’t have a favorite clothing brand because I thrift all of my clothes. I prefer thrifting because it’s sustainable and I feel like I get to be more creative with what I’m wearing. I find a weird piece that most people would overlook and I can alter it in a way that is suitable to me and my body type. I feel like it genuinely becomes my piece of clothing. I also like seeing the different types of clothes that are sold at the different thrift stores because I feel like its a cool way to understand the community that the thrift stores are located in. 

What advice would you give to your middle school self regarding fashion?

I would tell myself to avoid wearing multiple statement pieces at once. I feel like I didn’t have a concept of how to put a cohesive outfit together. I just sort of picked out stuff from my closet that I liked and put it on even if they didn’t look good together. I would also say to keep wearing things that make you feel good and excited because that’s when you feel most confident. 

Hello beautiful ladies! My name is Kare, like Karebear, and I am so excited to share my tips and tricks with you!