yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Events from 2016 That Will Inspire your Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

This has been such an eventful year thus far and it’s not over yet. From the Olympics to the presidential election, Britain leaving the European Union and the continuation Kimye/Taylor Swift feud, there are so many events that can inspire your Halloween costume this 31st.

The craziness and excitement of the Olympics was a major event of 2016. Beginning with Rio’s rush to complete arenas, fields, and courts and finishing with the diving well turning a nasty green color, Rio was in the news constantly. Dress as big name athletes such as the talented Simone Biles, fastest man alive Usain Bolt, fan favorite Katie Ledecky, or the attention seeking swimmer Ryan Lochte.

This goes without saying; the Presidential Election has been the biggest political event of the year. Trump’s controversial antics and Hillary’s email debacle has kept the media busy and America entertained. I don’t know about you, but I am ready for this election to come to a close. Without being inappropriate, take some inspiration from comedians James Corden, Conan O’Brien, Jimmy Fallon, and Jimmy Kimmel for some humorous impression for political costumes. Use excessive orange tanner or solid colored pantsuit to pull of the two candidates iconic looks.

Pokémon Go took over the lives of kids millennials and even adults this summer. There are hundreds of characters to depict but you need as least someone to be Ash.

Popular movies and television series of 2016 can assist you in coming up with great ideas. Finding Dory was a favorite film among all age groups; be Nemo, Dory, Marlin, or the new character Hank. The hilarious women who often grace the Saturday Night Live stage starred in the remake of Ghostbusters. Find some khaki jumpsuits and create a lightweight plastic, backpack contraption for a Proton Pack.

Unfortunately the world lost many beloved celebrities in 2016. Pay tribute to music icons David Bowie or Prince. Or actors Alan Rickman from the Harry Potter series, Abe Vigoda from the Godfather series, and Gene Wilder the one and only Willy Wonka. The cast of Mob Wives lost fan favorite Angela “Big Ang” Raiola as well.

Some group outfits inspired by celebrity feuds recently are Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, and Taylor Swift or Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and Jennifer Aniston.

For Bravo fans, tap into your inner Italian/Jersey persona and replicate the over-the-top attire of Theresa and Joe Gudice. If you follow the Real Housewives of New Jersey, you know all about the drama the ladies faced when the Gudices served their stints in jail for tax evasion this year.

Need a costume in a rush? Wear a baseball uniform or jersey and paint on a burly beer to be David Ortiz who announced his retirement. Or be Bey’s nemesis, Becky with the good hair, by simply sporting a fabulous hairdo.

Happy Halloween!

Emma Brislin MacCurdy is a senior writer at Rhodes College. She is graduating in the Spring with a bachelor's degree in Commerce and Business. Email with any questions, comments, or suggestions: maceb-17@rhodes.edu.
Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo