This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

When I was in middle school, my hair turned curly. In a time where I wanted to fit in, I suddenly became very different. My hair didn’t look like most girls’ hair around me. Every day I would try to do something new to my hair. I would try to sleep in braids and make it wavy the next day or I would straighten it an hour before school. I literally would wake up at 5:45 am some mornings just to straighten my hair to fit in. Who was I? 

I was a girl who wasn’t confident in myself. I was a girl who wanted straight hair. I wanted to be able to put my hair up into a ponytail without any issues. I didn’t want the bumps in my hair even after I had brushed it for twenty-minutes into the ponytail. I couldn’t do a cute messy bun because my hair would instead just look like a disaster. All I wanted was to be able to hide my curls. 

It wasn’t until I hit high school when I realized that my hair was something I should be thankful for having. I always received compliments on my curls when I had done nothing to them. These compliments should’ve made me love my curls, but I never believed any of them. Women would always come up to me and say, “I wish I had curls like yours.” I would respond, “No. No, you don’t.” But what I didn’t realize was that maybe my hair was a blessing in disguise. I would only have to brush my hair twice a day, once before my shower and once after my shower. I wouldn’t have to take time to style it like most girls. I could wake up and just leave without worrying about my hair. 

Embracing my curls took me years to do, but once I learned to love them, it was a beautiful thing. My curly hair is what makes me, me. It’s what gives me my own “spunk.” My curls define my personality. When someone sees my curls from behind, they can identify that it is in fact, Sabrina. 

After coming to college, I can definitely say that I love my curls even more. I see women around my campus that have the most beautiful curls, and these girls own them. Once I was at a party and a girl turned around and told me, “I love your hair. I have curly hair like yours and you’ve inspired me to want to wear mine naturally.” All it takes is embracing what you were given. In order to feel accepted by others for who you truly are, you need to accept yourself first. 

It may have taken me way too many years to get to where I am now with loving my curls, but I am so glad that I did. It makes my life so much easier. I advise that if you are having trouble with your curly hair, get inspired. Sometimes all it takes is a picture of someone online working their curls to have you want to work yours too. However, I understand that it takes time. Trust me though, you will feel so much better after accepting and loving your curls. 

Hi, I'm Sabrina and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I'm majoring in Political Science and International Studies.