Dua Lipa and BLACKPINK: The Girl Power Team-Up the World Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

“New Rules” singer Dua Lipa just released a collab with K-Pop girl group BLACKPINK, and it’s phenomenal. BLACKPINK made a splash in the American music scene over the summer with their song “Ddu-Du Ddu-Du” which made it onto Billboard’s Hot 100, making them the highest-charting K-Pop girl group ever. Now Dua Lipa has drawn them even further into the spotlight with “Kiss and Make Up.” 

This collab sets an amazing precedent of international female solidarity in the music industry. Lipa told Access Hollywood that she got the idea to work with BLACKPINK after meeting them at one of their concerts in Seoul. According to her, BLACKPINK jumped at the chance to collaborate on the track. She says, “They were very quick with their response… they quickly went and recorded it and changed some of the lyrics to Korean… I’m really thrilled.”

These two sensations have come together to create music despite any language or cultural barriers that might exist, which is a beautiful thing. Here’s hoping that Dua Lipa and BLACKPINK continue to set the stage for cross-cultural female collaborations! Listen to their song below.

Eliza is the Assistant Editor for HerCampus Rhodes and is currently pursuing a degree in English Literature. Other than working for HC, Eliza also holds a leadership position in RUF. Ask her about sentence diagrams or Jane Austen to start a conversation.