Do’s and Don’ts: SEC Tailgate Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Big rival games are on the horizon in the South Eastern football Conference.  Fortunately for Rhodes students Memphis is situated near many D1 schools within driving distance. So when our Lynx are away, caravans of students head off to Oxford, Little Rock, Tuscaloosa etc. to meet up with high school friends or cheer on their hometown team.  However these games and tailgates are on a completely different levels.

Do DESIGNATE A DRIVER: If you don’t get through the rest of the list, read this point at the least.  Even though these SEC schools are in close proximity to Memphis, under no circumstance should you risk your life or your friends by having a driver under the influence— on the way down or back to Rhodes.  Some smart ideas to stay safe: 1) have one DD drive down and have another friend stop drinking many hours before Leaving until 10000% sober and safe. 2) Get a driver: an Uber, Lift, taxi to drive down and split the costs with friends.  You will have to call and schedule a head of time to find a driver willing to go the distance. 3) Drive with someone’s parents/family

Don’t Go Out the Night Before: as the cliché saying goes, “it’s a marathon, not a sprint”. Tailgating is an all day affair; being hung-over the morning is not a fun way to start the long day.

Do Charge your Phone: Your phone should read 100% but your snatch it off the charger. You’ll regret it later when you can’t find your friends!

Don’t Miss the Game: it’s the whole point you are tailgating- to get pumped for the game. You don’t want to be that person that passes out before the first play.

Do Freeze a Water Bottle the Night Before! Keep it in your cooler to keep drinks and food chilly, and then drink it later once it melts to keep hydrated and cool.

Don’t Douse Your Body with Paint: especially in the heat and crowds body paint will get all over your nice clothes. If you must, tastefully confine body paint to the face.

Do Drop a Pin: many groups of friends will have a tent to tailgate under.  Always find your home base by having your phone navigate you back when you get turned around among the infinite rows of tents.

Don’t Demonstrate Un-sportsman like Behavior: some playful banter between passing by fans is okay, but it’s unacceptable to use foul language, explicatives, degrading words against opposing fans. It reflects poorly on your team’s fan base but worse it could lead to a physical encounter. Not classy.

Do Make Lasting Memories: You’ll find SEC tailgates are very incomparable experiences than a Lynx game so enjoy football and fun in a different atmosphere.

*And as always abide by the Rhodes’ social and alcohol policy by being legal, responsible, healthy, and reflective of Rhodes community values.  You do represent Rhodes College even when off campus.  Make sure you are fully conscious of the school/university’s alcohol and behavior policy when visiting.  

Upcoming SEC Games close to Rhodes

Saturday September 17th

Texas State @ Arkansas

Alabama @ Ole Miss

Saturday September 24th

LSU @ Auburn

Georgia @ Ole Miss

Saturday October 1st

Kentucky @ Alabama

Memphis @ Ole Miss

Florida @ Vanderbilt

Saturday October 8th

Alabama @ Arkansas

Auburn @ Mississippi State

That completes our list. Go team! If you have suggestions for a future Do’s and Don’ts list email us at: nathalievacheron@hercampus.com

Emma Brislin MacCurdy is a senior writer at Rhodes College. She is graduating in the Spring with a bachelor's degree in Commerce and Business. Email with any questions, comments, or suggestions: maceb-17@rhodes.edu.
Hi! I'm Nathalie Vacheron, a senior at Rhodes hailing from Germantown, Tennessee. I love to write, I love to edit, and I'm in love with the voice Her Campus gives to women across college campuses. In addition to Her Campus, I'm involved in my sorority, Tri Delta, work in the Counseling/Health Center, am a First Year mentor, and love to run when I can. I'm a Business & Commerce major concentrating in management with a minor in Psychology. I hope to go into health administration, community health, or work for a non-profit (and write a book somewhere in-between...) xoxo