Do’s and Don’ts: Dukes of Hazzard Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

This Saturday October 22nd the brothers of the Alpha Tau chapter of Alpha Tau Omega are hosting their annual Dukes of Hazzard party at their house on campus.

This yearly affair is inspired by the country cast of characters from the long running American television show, The Dukes of Hazzard. The popularity of this series, which ran from ’79 to ’85, influenced movies, spin-offs, and iconic characters that to this day reprise their roles on television (See characters Bo and Luke Duke in this Auto-Trader® commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn43hrtkTKM).

David Glenn, Vice President, says “Dukes is always a good time, and is a pretty solid way to bring the campus together for a good time. Here we go Rhodes””

We composed a little list that will help you have a grand ole time.

Do Dress Daisy: Rock the hot, high-waisted jean shorts affectionately named after the character Daisy Duke. This cousin was an aspiring singer and waitress by day. She’s often pairing her trademark shorts with a paisley or plaid button-down.

Don’t Damage your Denim: Guys and Gals a like will be dressed in Daisy Dukes but here’s an important tip: put your pants one first, mark where you want to snip, then cut your jeans.

Do Share your Shoes: For those of us from the south, this bash is the best place to slip on your boots. If you have an extra pair or two, lend ‘em to a northerner for the night. Dukes is a no Chaco zone.

Don’t Even Think About It: The confederate flag is off-limits (for any occasion). Even though this emblem reoccurred throughout the span of the show which was based in rural, fictional county of Hazzard, Georgia in the 80s, Rhodes’ commitment to diversity contracts the entire campus to welcome, value, and cultivate a community of diversity of all kinds. Donning any sort of discriminatory clothing or accompanying attitudes will not be tolerated at an event that aims to include the entire student body. Recently in 2015, Bubba Watson, the owner of the actual car, removed the controversial confederate flag that adorned the hood of the General Lee and replaced it with the more appropriate United States flag.

Dare to be Different: Instead of wearing the stereotypical Dukes look, dress like a deputy. As the antagonists of the show, the sheriffs wore a blue button down, black tie, pants, and cowboy hat, and a shiny gold badge.

Don’t Drink the Moonshine: A reoccurring theme in the show circles around the county deputies pursuing the Duke family for transporting moonshine and other incivility. Wouldn’t want campus safety on your tail, so dodge this drink. Obviously.

A Must Do: Post an Insta posing with the infamous Hazzard whip: “General Lee”. This is the obnoxiously orange dodge charger Alpha Tau replicates in their front yard.

*And as always abide by the Rhodes’ social and alcohol policy by being legal, responsible, healthy, and reflective of Rhodes community values.

That completes our list. If you have suggestions for a future Do’s and Don’ts list email us at: nathalievacheron@hercampus.com

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dukes_of_Hazzard

Emma Brislin MacCurdy is a senior writer at Rhodes College. She is graduating in the Spring with a bachelor's degree in Commerce and Business. Email with any questions, comments, or suggestions: maceb-17@rhodes.edu.