Culinary Chronicles: Pulled Pork and Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

This weekend is Kappa Delta Mom’s Weekend, and sadly my mom will not be joining me in Memphis. My youngest brother is participating in his school’s German exchange program- he’ll spend 3 weeks in Germany this summer, and, starting Sunday, a German student will be staying with my family for 3 weeks. My family has been preparing for his arrival for weeks, which means they painted my bathroom from a cheery pink and polka dots to a more guy-friendly navy blue, and my mom has been trying out new recipes so that Simon (the German student) can taste the best of American cuisine.

In honor of Kappa Delta Mom’s Weekend, I chose this recipe for Dr. Pepper barbecue pulled pork that I got from my mom. This recipe is great for college because it’s quick and easy to prepare, and takes a long time to cook. You can make the barbecue sauce in under 20 minutes, and then as you let the pork cook for 2+ hours. So you have time to clean, do work, or watch a movie. Plus, the longer food cooks, the better your room will smell! On a stormy weekend afternoon, what’s better than curling up with a food movie as then rain pounds on your windows and your room fills with the aroma of delicious pulled pork soaked in Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce!?

Ingredients

4-5 pounds pork loin- you can substitute for a less expensive cut of pork or short ribs
2 tablespoons shortening
1.5-2 cups Dr. Pepper
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 burger buns

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place a large saucepan on high heat.
  2. Place the pork in a large casserole dish.
  3. In the warmed saucepan, combine the Dr. Pepper, ketchup, salt, pepper, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic; bring to a boil.
  4. While that is coming to a boil, spread the shortening over the pork and rub some of the left over spices (if there are any left) you just added to the sauce over the pork.
  5. Once the sauce is at a boil, take it off the heat and pour it over the pork.
  6. Cook for 2 hours, or until tender.
  7. Pull the pork apart with tongs or a fork, put on the burger buns, and ENJOY!
Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.