Culinary Chronicles: My Favorite Comfort Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

As soon as the temperature drops below 60, nothing makes me happier than curling up with a great book and a hot bowl of soup. I thought Fall was finally here a few weeks ago, but the warm weather came back and pushed the lovely cold weather back to the north. This weather may be able to stop me from wearing cozy sweaters and warm scarves, but it can not stop me from craving my favorite winter comfort food. My favorite soup of all is French onion soup. The soft caramelized onions, gooey, melted cheese, and baguette slices soaked with stock combine to make a soup that delivers a healthy dose of happiness with each bite. Don’t let the stress that comes with the end of  semester get you stressed or sick, enjoy some warm soup that is good for your heart and soul!

From the Bon Apetit Test Kitchen:

Ingredients
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon Calvados, Applejack, or other brandy
  • 4 cups low-salt beef stock
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 -8 1/2″-thick slices baguette, cut to fit ramekins
  • 1 cup grated Gruyère or raclette cheese
Special equipment:
Four 10-oz. ramekins

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.