Culinary Chronicles: Bazooka Joe Shooters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

My last recipe, ice cream Jell-O, was in the spirit of Rites to Play- an event that is sandwiched between two nights of concerts. Rites of Spring is usually one of the best weekends on campus, and I wanted to pick a recipe that is as fun as Rites of Spring, but keeps the spirit of Rites to Play in mind. My boyfriend works as a bartender during the summer, and as I was trying to pick a new recipe, he introduced me to the Bazooka Joe shooter.

If you don’t know what Bazooka Joe bubble gum is–first, I’m sorry your childhood failed you, and second, it’s only the best bubble gum EVER! Besides being amazing bubble gum, it also comes with a comic starring the blond, eye patch wearing Bazooka Joe and his turtleneck clad friend Mort. 

When my boyfriend told me that I could have the deliciousness of Bazooka Joe is a shot (for all the 21+ HC readers), I did not believe him. But then I tried it, and it was amazing. If you don’t like bubblegum flavored things, don’t let that turn you off from this shooter. It doesn’t have a strong, overpowering flavor or burn to it, but a light, sweet, and slightly fruity taste that reminds you of chewing Bazooka Joe bubblegum- all that’s missing is the comic. 

Ingredients

(Makes 3 shooters, or one strong drink)

– 1 shot blue curaçao (you can substitute triple sec or another orange liquornot vodka)

– 1 shot banana liqueur (like Creme de Banana)

– 1 shot Irish cream (like Bailey’s, McCormick’s, or Ryan’s)

For each additional shot, add an additional 1/3 shot of each ingredient

Preparation

Place all ingredients into a tall glass, filled with ice (I use my Tervis Tumbler with lid) Shake the glass to chill and mix the liquid- if you don’t have a glass with a lid, simply stir the contents for 10-15 seconds. Strain into shot glasses and enjoy (responsibly of course!).

The Bazooka Joe made by my boyfriend using Triple Sec, Creme de Banana, and Ryan’s (your shot will look different as he layered the ingredients instead of shaking them).

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.