Career > Her20s

Between Nantes and New York: The Second Chapter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

~One month and Quarantine Later ~

As my applications sat pending for the past month and the world as we knew it went up in flames, these applications and studying abroad fell to the wayside. I was no longer concerned with how my interviews had gone, or if my acceptance or rejection letters were sitting in my email: I was more concerned with my sophomore year ending months too soon (which it did) or where I was supposed to live following the email urging everyone to leave campus. The past few weeks have completely reshaped the world as we know it and everyone has been affected in some way. 

I was lucky that when that heartbreaking email binged in my inbox, I was surrounded by my best friends in my family home, with a support system. Although my life has undoubtedly been changed by the past months, I recognize my privilege and all that I have. But still, my concern with studying abroad became unimportant, after months of obsession. My family decided to self-quarantine in Arizona, where we could practice social distancing but still enjoy nature – a large part of our lives. 

One week ago, after a beautiful day hike in the empty and breathtaking Grand Canyon, I received an email from the international studies program through Rhodes. The subject read: “Congratulations”. In the middle of the path, with my parents standing beside me, I started screaming and jumping around. I had been accepted to the New York City Internship program, my top choice. As it is for most young people, living in New York City is my dream. 

So, here I am a few months later and a dream come true in a time with so much unknown. I am ecstatic for this opportunity and cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Reid Brown

Rhodes '22

I'm from Vermont which means I can talk about snow, maple syrup, and how great Canada is all day:)