This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Greetings as we enter March and observe this year’s Women’s History Month! Here are some book recommendations that highlight individual perspectives on feminism with an emphasis on the work of queer women and women of color. As these different collections of stories and experiences introduce you to new points of view, I hope you may find that many of the experiences detailed in these books resonate with your own as well.

Sister Outsider –  Audre Lorde

Audre Lorde, a venerated black queer feminist author takes us through an assortment of different essays and speeches where she writes from the specifics of her different social identities. Bringing intersection on many of these important topics, Lorde’s work is very impactful and inspiring as it brings such a perspective to the forefront of our modern discussions on race, gender, and sexuality.

Where Is Your Body?

Legal scholar Mari Matsuda offers an inspiring perspective on issues of feminism as well as exploring how her own identity as a Japanese-American woman and the intersection of her experiences impact her understanding of the law. These explorations bring a new understanding of the country’s legal system and show how it works to the advantages or disadvantages of others based on our social identities, and in particular for women of diverse backgrounds.

This Bridge Called My Back – edited by Cherríe Moraga and Gloria Anzaldúa

In this collaboration, we are met by Chicana feminists Cherríe Moraga and Gloria E. Anzaldúa who edit a collaboration made by over a dozen feminist women of color exploring the various themes in their experiences within intersectional feminism and furthermore womanism. Featuring personal accounts and essays navigating through the complexities of gender, race, sexuality, class, education, and how it shapes their viewpoints, this book is incredibly insightful and diverse in its scope as it reflects and relates to issues ongoing across several communities of women even today.

Redefining Realness – Janet Mock

In this memoir and debut book by Janet Mock she details her experiences navigating sexism, transphobia, sex work, and identity as a trans woman of color growing up in 90s-2000s America. Mock shares many of her personal stories from her childhood growing up in Hawaii, to moments of her adulthood impacted by the unique challenges of her transition.

Make sure to hit up your closest Barnes & Noble and locally-owned small book businesses in search of these fantastic books which should make nice additions to anyone’s bookcase this March. As we navigate this year’s Women’s History Month be sure to keep an eye out and an open mind to similar books related to feminism from intersectional perspectives as we learn more and celebrate the rich, inspiring histories of the surrounding women of our society. I strongly encourage anyone interested to delve deep into the complex literature of the movement as it they still can hold powerful universal messages to anyone regardless of social identity or geographic background!

Hi! I'm Tina, and I'm a Rhodes College freshman from Franklin, Tennessee! I'm very passionate about social issues, music, and art. Some of my favorite things in life are the Pokémon series' videogames, reggaeton, and hanging out with my pet dogs!