10 Things to Do Before Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

As seniors, we have seen the numerous e-mails from Career Services counting down the days until graduation. This leaves us in a panic to search for jobs, complete grad school applications, or figure out what in the heck we are going to do with our lives. What we aren’t thinking about are the things we are going to miss about our lovely Rhodes bubble, and the things in Memphis that we have missed out on in the past four years. Here is a list of the top 10 things we should all do before graduation day.  Underclassmen: take note, senior year will be here before you know it.

1. Ride the Lynx Statue: This has been a tradition we’ve all heard about since our tours as prospective students. It’s something that we have either carefully planned out, taking note of every last detail (which friends we want to share the honor with, what year/semester we want to choose, etc.), or it is a spontaneous decision that leaves a great story for the morning after. Either way, this is an essential step towards becoming a Rhodes alum.
  2. Eat breakfast at Café Eclectic: This is one of my favorite traditions at Rhodes. Not only because breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, but also because it gives my friends and I a chance to catch up on the various weekend activities. Either way, when something exciting happens on a Friday or Saturday night, one of my first thoughts is “this would make a great Café E story”.
  3. Attend a concert in Memphis: Whether it be at Minglewood Hall, Mud Island River Park, or FedEx Forum, this is a great escape from the typical “frat party” on a Friday or Saturday night. Memphis attracts a wide variety of artists, so take time to check out these venues’ websites for upcoming concert info.
  4. Take advantage of free Memphis Zoo day: Our lynx card provides us with many perks, and one of my favorites is the free zoo day on Tuesday afternoons from 2 PM to close. This is a perk for all Tennessee residents, so our lynx card allows us to be treated as TN residents for an afternoon. Make sure you visit the Lynx cat while you are there!
  5. Attend a Rhodes sports game: This is a great way to take a break from studying and boost the Lynx spirit. Check out the Rhodes’ athletic website for boys’ and girls’ sports schedules.
  6. Attend a Memphis sports game: There are many opportunities to get Red Birds or Grizzlies tickets around campus. This is also a fun study break, and a great opportunity to catch up with friends outside of the library.
  7. Eat breakfast in the rat: This is by far the best meal on campus. It is worth it to wake up 20 minutes early and grab breakfast in the rat before that dreaded AM class.
  8. Climb the Geodesic Dome: This goes along with the Lynx statue tradition; we have heard about it since summer orientation. Although you may not ever enter Ohlendorf, get close enough to it to fulfill this tradition. Try not to do this in the same night as the statue, you don’t want to breeze through Rhodes’ two biggest traditions in one night.
  9. Grab a drink in the Lair Pub: Obviously this is an activity for those of us who are lucky enough to be 21+,but make sure it’ a stop you make once you do reach the legal age. The pub offers a wide variety of bottled beers and on draft. Not a fan of beer? Don’t worry, they offer Woodchuck cider, too. So now you have no excuse but to leave the library for 30 minutes, and catch up with friends over a drink in the Lair Pub.
  10. Attend a RAB-sponsored event: Participation in these events is a great way to both save money and do something different. Pay attention to the signs around campus advertising RAB events, such as free movie tickets, PubQuizes and Pancake Study Breaks. Visit their website for details. 

Seniors, if you haven’t reached any of these goals yet, get to work! Underclassmen, get a head start, and enjoy the advantages that Rhodes and Memphis has to offer.