This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

As an avid reader, I am often torn between the re-reading an old favorite book or reading a brand new novel. The latter option usually wins because of the constant dread I feel about never being able to complete my to-read list; however, I was able to re-read several works because of the literature classes I took this semester. After reading these favorite stories again, I was reminded why it is beneficial and necessary to re-read. When people read a books over again, they gain a better appreciation for the work and notice things that they had previously missed.

I have decided to compile a list of books I want to re-read this coming year. I chose these works because they are worth re-reading, in my opinion. So here are seven books I plan to re-read in 2017.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

During this semester, two of my literature professors have called Moby Dick the greatest American novel ever written. I read this book in high school and did not fully appreciate it. After reading and loving other works by Melville this year, I want to give Moby Dick another read and hopefully, fall in love with this so called “greatest American novel.”

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

This book will always hold a special place in my heart. It is the first piece of classic literature I have read that has Asian-American protagonists. As an Asian-American, I deeply appreciate this work because of its cultural consideration and dynamic characters.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

I don’t know what it is about Zora Neale Hurston, but she has an incredible way with words. This novel contains some of the most beautiful phrases and sentences in the world. I want to read this book again to experience the beauty of those unforgettable words once again.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

I am taking a Tolkien literature class next semester; so I will definitely be re-reading this book, and I am very excited. I enjoyed The Hobbit when I first read it, but I know I will appreciate it even more after a second read. Tolkien is so intricate and brilliant with his detailed storytelling, and I cannot wait to find things I missed the first time I read it.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This book is the one that started my love for classic literature. I won’t go on about how much I adore this book because we would be here for a few years. I have re-read this novel before, and my love for To Kill a Mockingbird grows each time.

Call of the Wild by Jack London

As a child, this was one of my most favorite books, and I am sad to say that I have not re-read it yet. Jack London is an amazing author, and I want to experience Buck’s journey all over again because it has been way too long.

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

My favorite book by Markus Zusak is The Book Thief, but I have re-read that one fairly recently. I Am the Messenger is another great book by him. This novel shows that people are more capable than they may think. It’s an uplifting and funny novel that deserves a re-read.

My name is Lili Nizankiewicz. I currently attend Regent University, and I am studying English with a concentration in creative writing. My ultimate goal is to go to grad school for creative nonfiction and eventually become a writing professor at a university. I am a writer, reader, violinist, and coffee drinker. Writing is extremely important and personal to me, and I believe that it can break down many social, mental, emotional, and spiritual barriers that people struggle with. I also adore reading because that is where my love for writing began. Reading has always acted as a comforting escape in my life, and I have fallen in love with so many incredible literary characters, like Scout Finch and Peter Pan. The violin allows me to take a step back from the world of English and literature. I find the beautiful instrument to be both relaxing and challenging. I also really love coffee; it keeps me alive during my weariest days and makes me happy overall. Personality-wise, I would describe myself as introverted, introspective, determined, hardworking, and a little sarcastic.