samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top Ten Best Study Spots In The Regent Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

We’re settling into the middle of the semester now so, for many a glance at a to-do list will consist of several readings, papers, and projects. This is also the time that tiredness begins to set in (even though we have actually been tired of all this homework since the beginning of the semester).

Sometimes all you need to kick your motivation into gear is a studious atmosphere. Without further ado, this is a ‘Top 10’ list of the best places to study in Regent’s library.

10. Corner next to the curriculum kits.

It’s quiet. It’s isolated. There’s no popular material over there and that makes it the perfect place to escape for a while and get some tough studying done!

9. Couches near the dissertations and theses.

This is a comfortable and quiet place, but often I find I get much too distracted by the traffic of people that come through, especially since there’s a doorway adjacent to the direction the couch is facing. When people pop out of there, my peripherals tell my brain that someone just popped out of a wall and it spooks me almost every time.

8. Study area in front of the gallery.

The beauty of studying here really depends on what time you go. Certainly, this place is most valuable before 6 p.m. when the athletic teams have study time and it gets rowdy. I find the earlier the better. When I want Café Moka vibes, but also more lighting, I snuggle up here with a commuter mug of coffee and enjoy the peace.

7. Study Rooms.

A little mainstream, I’ll admit, but sometimes you need there to be absolutely no distractions so you can focus wholly on the task at hand. I spent many hours in these little rooms last year and honestly the solitude made me a little bonkers, but once I settled down, work got done. Sure, the study rooms give off insane asylum vibes, but it’s okay. I got a 100 on the last project I completed in one.

6. Desks around the far right side of the library.

On the second floor, nearly every desk comes with outlets and Regent students have definitely taken advantage of that. One walk through yields sights of mini homes – blankets, water warmers, tea, and ramen. Certainly there is something cozy about having your own little nook to study in for the entire semester.

5. Sofas in the foyer before the main staircase up to the law library.

I study here often between classes when I just need a quick and comfortable place to sit and read. Given that there’s no table, writing is a little difficult, but if you’re only underlining or highlighting, it’s a nice place to sit. There’s also the added bonus of the natural light coming from the atrium before the sun goes down. There’s mild traffic here, but I don’t see more than two or three people within an hour while sitting here.

4. Desks on the sides of the atrium.

Again, these little nooks are perfect for holing up in, but really only temporarily. The natural light is beautiful, but when events take place in the atrium, everyone inside can see you, and for me, that’s a little awkward. There aren’t many events in the atrium, so spending a little time dilly dallying here seems like a good way to waste time. Why be outside and experience sunlight when you can be inside and experience sunlight?

3. Chairs between group study rooms 203 and 206 on the left side of the library.

There’s almost no traffic here and there’s comfortable chairs making it an ideal spot to relax and get a grip on life. Then, when you’re ready, study your brains out and leave feeling like you’re smarter than you were when you arrived.

2. Law library balcony.

A popular spot for both grad and undergrad students, the law balcony had to make it onto this list. It’s the perfect description of ‘silent, but homey’ and the décor reminds me of a lavish hobbit hole – or the home of some guy who walks around in a velvet robe and smokes his pipe while telling stories by the fireplace.

1. Second floor balcony.

This is absolutely my most favorite spot to study. It’s perfect for someone like me who can’t get too distracted, but also goes insane if there are no distractions. Chairs here are comfortable, have back support, and are close to the huge windows which allow lots of natural light and a keen view of the Regent campus. This is an ideal spot for people watching or just a quiet place to contemplate. Beware, during event time, this balcony is the most crowded and noisiest place (as I mentioned previously with the use of the atrium).

If you need help getting around, you can find a map of the library online at this link: http://libguides.regent.edu/maps.

Happy studying!

Photo Credit

Tiyra is a senior at Regent University studying English with a concentration in communications. No, she does not want to be a teacher. She is a total advertising and marketing geek (she reads Adweek every morning and AdAge every month). She enjoys writing, reading, learning new things, and good music. She is a fan of Korean dramas, they're a lot of fun! If you're looking for her, you can normally find her where the free food is.