This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

For those who suffer from periods/premenstrual symptoms, or even just know someone who does, this article is for you. So first, let’s explain some things. Premenstrual symptoms can happen anywhere from 5-10 days before you get your period, and can be any of these:

• Emotional symptoms

• Depressed mood

• Crying spells

• Mood swings and irritability or anger

• Appetite changes and food cravings

• Trouble falling asleep (insomnia)

• Social withdrawal

• Poor concentration

• Change in libido

• Physical signs and symptoms

• Joint or muscle pain

• Headache

• Fatigue

• Weight gain related to fluid retention

• Abdominal bloating

• Breast tenderness

• Acne flare-ups

• Constipation or diarrhea

• Alcohol intolerance

So, even if you do not have your period yet, you are quite likely to be dealing with a whirlwind of emotions, pain, or low self-esteem from the temporary changes in your appearance, none of which are great. And then, to top it off, afterward you have to bleed non-stop, without choice, for usually a minimum of 3 days if you’re lucky. And those premenstrual symptoms, are not just premenstrual; they also can continue throughout the whole length of your period too. Honestly, it is just fantastic having to deal with all of this as you, a college-age being suffering from this occurrence, knows. Whether it is for your own use, or if it is for a loved one, you probably want to know what you could do to make it better. So here are the tips!

1. Have some tea sis!

Specifically Raspberry tea. It balances hormones, strengthens your immune system, and slows down blood flow. It also relieves period pain too and is a natural way to deal with your period instead of taking pills.

2. Keep warm.

When on your period keep your abdomen and/or lower back warm, especially wherever you are feeling cramps. Whether it is blankets, a heating pad, or a cat, warmth on your abdomen will reduce cramps and relieve muscle tension.

3. Take medicine if it’s too much!

While natural remedies are nice, sometimes the only thing that will cut the pain is medicine. Midol is nice because it has caffeine and Ibuprofen. The caffeine in it helps relieve cramping, but if you’re suffering from diarrhea as a menstrual symptom, maybe just take the Ibuprofen instead. Tylenol is also good, but not as recommended due to the fact that Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and works better for periods. But if the Ibuprofen is not cutting it, by all means, take the Tylenol!

:WARNING: Only take Midol or Ibuprofen, but not both together as they are the same medicine, with one containing caffeine. Remember to only take the recommended dose, no matter how painful. Also, you can take both Ibuprofen and Tylenol together, but only take the recommended dose for both as stated on the bottle.:WARNING:

4. Stay hydrated

When on your period be sure to drink some water. By drinking water, you reduce the likelihood of the fluid retention that often happens when you’re on your period. Water makes you feel less bloated and reduces the likelihood of cramps at the same time!

5. Comfort

While all these things are good for dealing with period pain, sometimes the best medicine is what life has to offer. So hang out with friends, get some blankets, stuffed animals, some healthy snacks, maybe watch Bob Ross, or ask for some cuddles from a friend. Find comfort in life because a joyful heart is good medicine and honestly what is better than being content?

Hey! Im 22, an artist, and aspiring Graphic Designer. I love God, my family, people, plants, and art. And I hope to make a difference with anything that's posted on here. Im also a major nerd. Check out my social media: https://www.instagram.com/rebecca_strobele_art/ , https://grey-deer.tumblr.com/ -Rebecca M. Strobele
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram