This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

One of the reasons college students look forward to Thanksgiving, even though it’s only a four day break, is because there won’t be a microwaved meal in sight.

I woke up around 7am Thanksgiving morning and staggered to the restroom, only to be caught off guard by a delicious aroma- my parents’ turkey! Enter in the sound of the whisk beating the ingredients for a sweet potato pie.

I have some colleagues who went home for fall break but if you’re like me, you haven’t been home since August. No home cooked meals, no abundance of clean laundry, and no parents around to hold your hand through everything. Not that the lack of these things is bad, but we’ve just been living life differently lately and we are eager for a good meal.

Real food!

The main perk of Thanksgiving from the perspective of a college student. We have been eating takeout and processed food for a few months now, and we desire a home cooked meal. This is the time when we eat what we want and as much as we want. If we get lucky, we might even be taking leftovers back to campus with us!

Friendsgiving

There’s never too much food, right? Throughout the week of Thanksgiving we gather with family and friends whether simultaneously, separately, or both. This year I attended my very first Friendsgiving and it was such a great experience that I will never forget. Food itself is amazing but when you combine food with friends, it turns into something special.

Home sweet Home!

I’ve been homesick for a few weeks already. Even though this break is so short, the fact that it’s a holiday is a good reason to go home. Being home with my parents gives me the opportunity to relax more than I would back on campus because some of the responsibility is lifted. Being home also means that you aren’t limited to clothing! All of your clothes are at your disposal without worrying about when you’ll have to do laundry next.

Fellowship

Maybe you’re someone who doesn’t get out often to talk to others, or maybe you’re someone who made a conscious decision to spend more time alone. Whichever category you fall into, this holiday allows you to gather in fellowship, express your thankfulness, and bless others. This is definitely a good time to catch up on peoples’ lives and share experiences that you’ve had while being away at school.

This is a season of reflection, thanks, giving, and loving. Some see it as a time to scoop on the latest drama and gossip, some see it as gathering with family and friends in unity. I honestly think it just depends on who you are and where you are.

Photo Credit

Hello there, beautiful people! My name is Monica and I am a freshman at Regent University, majoring in Psychology. As expressed through my HC articles, I have a passion for writing. I began my journey of creative writing during my freshman year of high school, and it's a hobby that really stuck with me. I have love for people, nature, and coffee! I hope you all find interest in what you read here. Love, Monica