The Seven Stages Of Getting Behind In Your Schoolwork, As Told By “The Office”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

We’ve all been there: it’s the beginning of the week, there are no deadlines in sight, and suddenly…there’s an assignment due. In six hours. 

Whether it’s from procrastination, last minute assignments, or midterm doldrums, here are the seven stages of falling behind in schoolwork:

1. The Inciting Incident

Behind nearly every procrastinated assignment, there is that one particular instance when you could have, theoretically, worked on that assignment…but the attraction of the moment won out, whether it was another anime episode, a nap, or strangely choreographed dance moves with a makeshift disco ball.

2. Return To Reality

What do you mean, the essay is due tomorrow? 

3. Rationalization

Because you needed the nap, and the anime episode, and the weird dance moves! Well…kindof.

4. Mission Accepted

Regardless of the legitimacy of the reasons why you’re behind, the real question is how do you catch up?

5. The State Of Overwhelm

The adrenaline rush is fading, and there are more assignments to do. It’s all…too…much.

6. Questioning How Much You Really Need That Degree

Being a professional matchmaker or mattress tester would be a viable career path, right?

7. Actually Getting On Track Again

Somewhere between the multiple cups of coffee, daydreams about becoming a successful college dropout, and actually working on the assignments, you made it. You’re back on track, free to sleep, eat, watch movies…and avoid schoolwork all over again.

Image Credit: Cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7