New On Campus: Regent’s Psych Club!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

This semester, Caleb South and Chris Dewitt started the Regent University Psych Club as a place for students of any major to have fun and learn more about the field of Psychology! We caught up with Chris, the club’s Vice President, to find out more about what the club offers Regent students.

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you and Caleb to start Regent’s Psych Club?

Chris Dewitt (CD): We wanted to give students with this interest a place of belonging and an outlet where they can learn about Psychology, grow, and have fun as well! I know what it is like to be an outsider, but I want to help make sure no one else has to experience that [by creating Psych Club].

HC: That’s great! What have been some of the challenges and rewarding parts of starting Psych Club?

CD: The hardest part [of starting the club] has been bringing awareness to the new organization. It died out awhile ago, so it was essentially forgotten like a distant Regent relic and spreading the word to this diverse campus has been a challenge.

The most rewarding part has been getting to meet and interact with fellow psychology students. Even within the same major, we can become quite diverse from one another. So meeting others in my major has been such a delight: they are all truly wonderful people, and it is a tremendous privilege to serve them in my position.

HC:  It sounds like you’re already off to a great start! Are there any stories about Psych Club you’d like to share?

CD: Well, an interesting anecdote about Psych Club is that many of us are introverted. So when we had our first on-campus event which required frontline social interaction, it was quite a day! I am so proud of our members for participating in the event with Caleb and myself. I know acting counter to your personality is difficult, but our members showed that it can be done with prayer, determination and support.

HC: What would you tell a student who’s interested in joining Psych Club?

CD: I would tell a person who wants to join that we are in an exciting season of sowing, and I am thoroughly assured that the Lord is going to bless our labor [through Psych Club] with an abundance of fruit. What could be a greater joy than to be a partaker in that harvest when the season comes?

I would say that the biggest reason to join is that we are welcoming of everyone, even if psychology is not [their] niche. We have a fantastic blend of fun and informative events like guest lectures, Q & A sessions, movie nights, and service projects. Please come serve the campus and the community with us—we want you there!

My name is Lili Nizankiewicz. I currently attend Regent University, and I am studying English with a concentration in creative writing. My ultimate goal is to go to grad school for creative nonfiction and eventually become a writing professor at a university. I am a writer, reader, violinist, and coffee drinker. Writing is extremely important and personal to me, and I believe that it can break down many social, mental, emotional, and spiritual barriers that people struggle with. I also adore reading because that is where my love for writing began. Reading has always acted as a comforting escape in my life, and I have fallen in love with so many incredible literary characters, like Scout Finch and Peter Pan. The violin allows me to take a step back from the world of English and literature. I find the beautiful instrument to be both relaxing and challenging. I also really love coffee; it keeps me alive during my weariest days and makes me happy overall. Personality-wise, I would describe myself as introverted, introspective, determined, hardworking, and a little sarcastic.