The Importance Of Voting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Ah, the excitement and pressure of voting! The recent election for governor of Virginia sparked a memory in me.

I remember when I turned 18 (which was only about nine months ago) and became eligible to vote. It was just too bad that the Presidential election had already come to an end.

Many new voters like myself have a few misconceptions or ideas about voting that sometimes hold us back from voting. Let’s clear up some of those misconceptions.

Local elections

When the word “election” is mentioned, we usually think of the big election: Presidency. Midterm and local elections, like the recent one, don’t get as much attention as they deserve from some young adults, but they are just as important. These elections directly impact college students because they cover issues such as debt and funding for higher education.

Registration

Life happens. As college students, we are bound by hours upon hours of homework and studying. Some of us have jobs so when we aren’t doing homework or at work, we’re trying to catch up on sleep.

I had a friend this year who got so caught up in school, he forgot to register. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. Some voters are unaware of where to register and/or vote, so they opt out.

Here is some feedback from college students who wish to remain anonymous:

“We should vote because we want to see the results we want and need as a community. If we want to see something happen, we need to take the steps to accomplish it or vote for the person who can or will make it happen.”

“I think one reason we should vote is that Jesus wants us to influence the culture and voting is one way we can do that.”

“As Christians it is our responsibility to vote for those we believe will be the closest to carrying out God’s commands.”

“One reason we should vote is for democracy. People died and fought for this.”

As a community and as a nation, what could we do to stress the importance of voting?

The simple truth: spread awareness.

Photo Credit

Hello there, beautiful people! My name is Monica and I am a freshman at Regent University, majoring in Psychology. As expressed through my HC articles, I have a passion for writing. I began my journey of creative writing during my freshman year of high school, and it's a hobby that really stuck with me. I have love for people, nature, and coffee! I hope you all find interest in what you read here. Love, Monica