How To Survive Your Senior Thesis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

No matter what one’s major is in undergrad, a senior project is inevitable. I am currently in the final stages of my creative writing senior project, which consists of a project proposal, three presentations, 55 pages worth of creative essays, and a five-page defense paper. There have been several points throughout the semester where I didn’t think I would make it, but with certain study habits and destressing tactics, I was able to persevere and produce a successful senior project.

I worked ahead.

As clichéd as this sounds, I cannot stress enough how crucial this is. If you don’t work ahead or don’t even know what’s ahead in your senior class, then you will not do well, at all. Knowing what papers and presentations are coming up will help you so much in the long run. Being caught by a surprise assignment is not something you want to go through when writing your thesis. If you steadily work on your thesis throughout the semester, you will avoid a great amount of stress.

I knew where to study.

There are different areas around Regent’s campus where I study, and each place helped me with a different part of my project. I used the Library study rooms for intense editing. When I needed to be more creative, I would choose a more open space that potentially had a window. My senior project also required me to read eight works from authors who have influenced my writing; when I read these, I usually ventured to Panera or a local coffee shop.

I listened to my professor’s critiques.

When it comes to senior seminar classes, professors will not coddle you. They may even rip your thesis drafts apart, but do not take offense or feel down on yourself. Instead, listen to their critiques. You do not have to apply their suggested revisions, but you should definitely consider the revisions because they are your professors and they are very competent in their specific field. If you seriously think about and even apply your professor’s feedback to your project, it could greatly help not only your grade but also your overall learning experience.

I met with my professor.

Meeting with your professor can be a very enlightening and beneficial experience. I met with my professor twice to discuss my project, and he was able to help me come to a better understanding of what I wanted my thesis to emulate. I highly recommend meeting with your professors about your senior project. Why wouldn’t you want one-on-one time with a professor who is an expert in your major?

I ate comfort food during work-heavy days.

There have been a handful of days throughout the semester that I had to specifically dedicate to working on my thesis. On those days, I throw health out the window and turn to comfort food. I believe eating healthy(er) should always be your goal, but sometimes, you just need sugary, salty, and savory food to help you make it through life.

I Didn’t Work Constantly.

Finally, I didn’t work constantly on my thesis. I did this for two reasons. Firstly, I had other classes and assignments going on as well. Secondly, I realized that taking breaks from a project as hefty as mine was can be very helpful. I would sometimes take a day or two off of working on my creative writing project, and when I returned to my it, my brain felt refreshed and re-motivated. I would often come back to my project with new, better ideas and a revived love for the essays I was writing.

Photo Credit

My name is Lili Nizankiewicz. I currently attend Regent University, and I am studying English with a concentration in creative writing. My ultimate goal is to go to grad school for creative nonfiction and eventually become a writing professor at a university. I am a writer, reader, violinist, and coffee drinker. Writing is extremely important and personal to me, and I believe that it can break down many social, mental, emotional, and spiritual barriers that people struggle with. I also adore reading because that is where my love for writing began. Reading has always acted as a comforting escape in my life, and I have fallen in love with so many incredible literary characters, like Scout Finch and Peter Pan. The violin allows me to take a step back from the world of English and literature. I find the beautiful instrument to be both relaxing and challenging. I also really love coffee; it keeps me alive during my weariest days and makes me happy overall. Personality-wise, I would describe myself as introverted, introspective, determined, hardworking, and a little sarcastic.