freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Dear Men, I Don’t Care About Your Preference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Dear Men, 

Listen. I get that you have a preference; I have a preference too, but I don’t go broadcasting that. Frankly, I don’t really care what your preference is. If you like skinny girls, good for you. If you like fat ladies, wonderful. If you like curvy girls, awesome. I really could not care less about what shape you prefer. 

Here’s the thing though: I am entirely 100% fed up with hearing what you want. I’m chunky and I’m okay with that. What I am not okay with is your commentary about how you’re normally into skinny girls, but you think I’m pretty too. UM, WHAT?!? Do you want me to be proud of you for that? Cause I’m really not. I’m also tired of hearing men who say things like “Why have the hot dog when you can have the steak?” Yeah, because gorgeous women love to be compared to food and more importantly, they love to be told they aren’t desirable because you prefer something else. (Also, who the freak wants to be a compared to a hot dog??) 

I am beautiful and my body shape shouldn’t be something you have to be proud of yourself for accepting. My best friend is a teeny lil thing and you shouldn’t be impressed with your positive thoughts toward her since you normally like thicker gals.

Every girl is beautiful, and more importantly, every girl is desirable. You, on the other hand, clearly need some work if you think that my shape detracts from my desirability and value. Your preference does not matter. What matters is your words and they hurt. 

Image credit

Keep your comments to yourself because you’re not making me feel better. You’re making me feel like garbage. Every single time a guy makes a comment about not thinking he’d like me because I’m not his type, I feel like a worthless piece of rubbish. No, I’m not happy that you like my personality and that made you realize I’m pretty. Boy, I was pretty before you ever came into my life and your opinion doesn’t change that. However, it still hurts. Please stop telling me that I’m not your type but you still like me anyway. You’re not a hero for falling for me and my chunky bod despite the fact that you normally are only into skinny girls. You’re not a hero for dating a thin girl because you normally go for thicc ladies. 

I don’t want to be your second choice because you “prefer” something else. I want you to see that I’m pretty and valuable the way I am before you have to see that your “preference” was wrong. 

Image credit

At the end of the day, I don’t want to hear about your success for thinking someone outside of your “ideal” is actually not too bad. Like, wow. You’re so awesome for stooping so far as to think I’m pretty even though I’m not your preference. Yeah… no. Keep your “proud moments” to yourself and just stop telling women that their body shape defines their attractiveness to you. 

Sincerely, 

Someone who is fed up with hearing your opinions

Sarra Dwynn

Regent '19

Not much to know. I'm here for controversies and Christian perspectives.
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram