This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Hurricane Florence hit a few weeks ago, but last minute it decided to not hit the lovely Virginia Beach area, which is great. However, as one of the students who evacuated northward, I may have turned the five days off of school into a mini fall break. It was an amazing time off with two of my closest friends as we explored Washington D.C for a week, but now, a week later, I find myself lazier and less motivated in school. My brain wants to keep me in the mini fall break I had. So, through this crazy post-evacuation period, let’s get talking about getting over this slump.

First things first, when the laziness hits, tell your friends about it. Get an accountability partner. It really is so helpful! Your friends will get onto you about keeping those assignments up and will annoy until you do it. While this may not be a set-in-stone way to fix this mood that you’re in, having support from others is a huge game-changer.

Secondly, have alarms on your phone/watch for all the daily tasks you have to do. This will get annoying really quick, but having them go off consistently will remind you to do things. For example, I haven’t wanted to get back into my gym routine since coming back, but the minute my phone goes off to remind me, I begrudgingly get dressed and go workout.

Thirdly, admit that you really don’t want to go back to working every day. Quit being in a state of denial of “Oh yeah, I’m fine.” No. Just no. Admit it, it will make you more self-aware and more likely to change your current schedule.

Hopefully, these post-evacuations waves of laziness will cease by midterms, but keep these tips in mind!

Lucinda Shea

Regent '21

Originally from the Nashville, TN area, Lucinda Shea is an International Studies major at Regent Univerisity. She loves to write poetry and her own philosophies, and  she enjoys listening to the stories of others. Lucinda has spent years in the instrumental and vocal music world as well as many years in the theatrical world. Lucinda hopes to travel the world and share her experiences with others, but most important, she hopes to meet wonderful people in her life. Lucinda thrives off of a good cup of coffee and you can most likely find her listening to music while reading in a coffee shop.
A senior English major at Regent University. Mostly just a word nerd who also happens to be in love with film and K-pop. Always in search of new experiences, food, and friends. Feel free to come say hi on Twitter or Instagram