This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Many times we fall into the same schedule patterns. We sleep in until the last minute before classes, sleep in on our days off, and laze around on the weekends wishing we had just one more day before Monday hits and the cycle begins again. The weekend is a magical and glorious, all-too-short couple of days when we don’t have to go to classes. It is easy to let the weekend pass without having done so much as finished six seasons of a show on Netflix we never knew was so intriguing.

Here are five things to liven up your weekend, and take advantage of our beautiful days off  (Note: I’m still advocating sleeping in and drinking copious amounts of coffee).

1. Get a group of friends together and go do an activity. Play sports, go to the mall, get your nails done, find a park and pack a picnic, have a game night, try a new recipe. Spending quality down time with your besties can be so refreshing.
  2. Take time for yourself. If you are a hardcore introvert, make time to reset and recharge. Find a quiet spot outside and throw out a hammock or blanket and chill for a couple of hours. It’s important to know your limits, and take time before you hit rock bottom.
  3. Have an at-home spa day. No need to spend loads of money going to a salon! Give yourself a relaxing DIY mani and pedi. While you’re at it, Pinterest some easy DIY face masks, throw on some relaxing music and pamper yourself!
  4. Get organized. Clean your room up, do the dishes, put everything in its place. Your week will run so much smoother, and you will be far less frazzled if your stuff is organized and neatly put away.
  5. Catch up on homework. If you happen to have weekends as homework days, make sure to finish outstanding assignments. Don’t put it off, even though it’s the weekend and you want to chill, the sooner you do your homework, the sooner it’ll be done.

Pick something new and exciting to do this weekend and try it! Plan ahead and you’ll find you maximize your weekends and might just feel a little more prepared for Monday.

Photo Credit

"Suffering passes, while love is eternal. That's a gift that you have received from God. Don't waste it.” - Laura Ingalls Wilder Ever since I can remember, I have always loved reading which eventually turned into a passion for creative writing. Although to date I have never been officially published, my goal is that one day I will be. My hope is that my writing will inspire, motivate, guide, and entertain readers. Even if my work touches only one person, I will feel content.  I love watching movies, traveling, hanging out with family and friends, and I am a major hockey fan (go Flyers!). Currently I am a college student, and by the grace of God will one day graduate. I love all things Lord of the Rings and Disney, love coffee and ice cream (or coffee ice cream), and going on adventures.