This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ramapo chapter.

Falling victim to the freshman (or sophomore…or junior…or senior) 15? There are so many easy ways to avoid this trap, so step away from the cafeteria pizza and listen to these tips!

It can be tempting to always reach for the cookies or fries at dinner, but try looking for healthier substitutions for your meals, both in the cafeteria and in your room. For your school-served lunches, fill your plate with vegetables and a piece of fruit, or try a salad with some chicken and light dressing. When opting to eat in your room, keep a stash of healthier options, like frozen vegetables and microwavable soup or rice, on hand.

These choices are filling and healthy, and they’re also super easy to prepare when you have little time before running out for class or a club meeting. But that’s not to say that you should completely swear off your potato chip and Easy Mac cravings—it’s okay to keep a junk food stash in your room to have a little when you’re really in the mood for it, so you don’t completely binge the next time you’re around some extra sugar.

Opting for fruits and veggies in place of fried and sugary foods will give you more energy…to use up at some awesome exercise options around campus! For those of you who can’t get enough of the traditional treadmill-and-free-weights workout, the on-campus gym is perfect for you. Have a love-hate relationship with the gym? Try an exercise class! Ramapo offers exercise classes, such as Pilates, spinning, and even scuba diving that you can take to get class credits. Don’t have room in your class schedule? The yoga club offers free classes weekly, and the Bradley Center also offers free cardio intramural classes that you don’t have to commit to—just show up when you can! These classes are perfect for people who don’t have as much motivation to work out, because it gives you a set time to work out each week so you can’t keep pushing it off. Ask a friend to join you for company and motivation, and you’ll both be toned in no time.

Angel Branco. Editor in Chief of Her Campus Ramapo.