Getting In the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ramapo chapter.

I know we’re all guilty of starting our plans for a flawless Halloween costume weeks (or in my case sometimes, months) in advance, but wouldn’t it be easier to get into the Halloween mindset if your room had some adorably-spooky fall flair? This year, make sure your dorm room and activity list is just as perfectly accessorized for this creepy, crazy holiday as you are!

• We all love our pumpkin picking trips, because you get to create great memories with your friends and family and have an awesome souvenir to show for it! Make plans to go to a local pumpkin patch on a weekend afternoon with some of your gals, and then carve or paint your picks together afterwards! This is a fun way to bring more Halloween to your room, and it’s also a great excuse to make a fun craft and add your own personal touch to your decorations.
  • On the subject of pumpkins…stock up on all things pumpkin and apple-cinnamon flavored to get yourself in the holiday spirit. Plus, they make great scents in your room! That means pumpkin soap for the bathroom, apple-scented incense and candles…and of course, pumpkin spice lattes for your taste buds! If you have a Keurig, look for pumpkin spice latte K cups in grocery stores and coffee shops; if not, find a recipe online to try out with your friends!
  • Snuggle up with that latte and pop a scary movie into your TV or laptop! If you’re someone who’s totally into creepy movies, try some classics, like “Friday the 13th” and “Nightmare on Elm Street,” or go and catch some newer releases, like “Insidious 2.” Recruit some friends so you can all stay up the entire night together when you can’t sleep afterwards, or maybe even ask that cutie you’ve been eyeing to join you on a date…perfect excuse to hold on to him!
  • No matter how old you get, you can never really outgrow trick-or-treating! Buy an assorted bag of fun-sized candy bars to keep in a cute container in your room. They double as both a decoration and a perfect satisfying snack for when your sweet tooth decides to act up. Then, on Halloween, you can share all your leftover pieces with friends and neighbors – no one likes to turn down free candy!
  • And lastly, just find any way to get creative in your room and add your personal touch to any available space. If your costume has small accessorizing pieces (think: a mask, a tiara, or devil horns), display them around your room before it’s time to wear them! Also, think outside the box – in my building, one wall in our room can be drawn on with chalk and is easily cleaned off, so we can draw murals for each season and holiday! Just using one of these ideas (or all of them, if you love Halloween like I do), will add the perfect touch of fall, and will get you in the mood for this spooky holiday in no time!
Angel Branco. Editor in Chief of Her Campus Ramapo.