Campus Celeb: Jamie Stein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ramapo chapter.

Junior swimmer Jamie Stein has always had a love for swimming. Breaking the butterfly record twice this year, and being Ramapo’s top 200-yard butterfly swimmer, this athlete can do it all!

Her Campus: How long have you been swimming?

Jamie Stein: I have been swimming for 14 years. I did club team for 11 years before coming to Ramapo.

HC: What do you do for the swim team?

JS: I swim multiple relays such as 200 medley relay, 200 freestyle relay, 400 medley relay, and 400 freestyle relay. Also, I am head of fundraising for the team and I have held different fundraising events to help raise money for the team. One major thing I do for the team is help out my teammates. A lot of the younger girls on the team come to me with problems and look up to me.

HC: How do you feel after you win a meet?

JS: When we win as a team it is an amazing feeling. It’s proof that all of our hard hours in and out of the pool have paid off. Each week, we swim five days a week for two hours each day. We also have dry land once a week for an hour as well as lift two times a week. People think that swimming is an individual sport, but its not. Each race is important and every second counts. When you touch the wall at the end of a hard race and look at the timing board and see the number one next to your name and time, it makes you feel like you’re on top of the world.

HC: How close are you with your teammates?

JS: I am very close with my team. All of the hours in and out of the pool bring us together. One word that our team uses to describe our relationship is “family.” Because we are not only teammates, but also, we are one big family. No matter what the situation is, the team is always there for each other. We all love each other so much and want everyone to do their best in and out of the pool. We all push each other to do our best and when we don’t, you have so many people to pick you up when you’re feeling down.  I know that in my years so far at Ramapo I have been able to come to multiple people on the team for advice or just a shoulder to cry on. I know a lot of my teammates feel the same.

HC: What about your coaches?

JS: Each one of them is always available to talk and I know I can trust them with anything.  Gary Orr [RCNJ’s head swim coach] has done a lot for me. He has helped me with so many problems in and out of the pool and has made me the swimmer I am today. He challenges everyone on the team and believes in each and every one of us. Coming into Ramapo College, I was used to a coach who cared mostly about my swimming, but Gary Orr was different. He cares about my school, swimming, and, also cares about me as a person. He has believed in me many times when I didn’t believe in myself. He has seen me grown as a person and always tells me how proud of me is he.

You can check out Jamie’s awesome skills at Ramapo’s next swim meet. I know I’ll be watching!

Angel Branco. Editor in Chief of Her Campus Ramapo.
Hey Guys!! My name is Elina and I'm the Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Ramapo Chapter here at Her Campus :)Right now, I'm a senior studying journalism at Ramapo College. My dream is to work in the field of entertainment news-- either through broadcasting or magazine journalism. Right now, I'm interning at Elvis Duran and the Morning Show and I am obsessed!!! I can only hope to continue on this road, and until then I'll be doing whatever I can to make that possible. Though I'm only a half-hour from school, I live on campus and wouldn't have it any other way. If I need some fam-time I'm close enough of a drive where it's not a hassle, and far enough where I have my space. I live with pledge sisters-- I'm a member of Sigma Delta Tau here at Ramapo. These girls are my LIFE!I hope you have as much fun reading our Her Campus chapter as we've had making it possible each week. HAPPY READING!! XOXOXFollow me for more:Twitter: @ElinaTarkInstagram: @Ella__XO (two underscores)