Album Release Review: The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ramapo chapter.

Our boy J.T. released his newest and fourth studio album, The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2 on September 30. If you haven’t checked out the part one, The 20/20 Experience, I would suggest playing that album all the way through then immediately following it up by listening to his latest. The flow of the first album into the second is absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD and I promise you that your earbuds will thank you!!

A friend of mine once said, “if you’re not into Justin Timberlake, you’re missing a piece of your damn brain.”

Pretty much spot on…

At least I think so. (JOKING!)

His new album opens with an upbeat and in-your-face track: Gimmie What I Don’t Know (I Want). The energy that Timberlake exerts to kick off the album is perfect, and enough to get you hooked almost instantly. Tracks such as Cabaret (ft. Drake), Murder (ft. Jay Z), and You Got It On, may vary in energy, but all have (at the very least) one thing in common… S-E-X. Timberlake takes us back to Future Sex/Love Sounds (2006) through these tracks and shows us that it’s perfectly fine to get a little bit (or a lot-a-bit) sexual here. The lyrics may seem a little much when just reading them, “I got you sayin’ Jesus so much it’s like we’re laying in a manger” (Cabaret), but wow, when they’re sung to you by what I envision to be a sweaty, sexy, almost-out-of-breath, Justin Timberlake, it sounds like a sweet, sweet prayer. 

A Timberlake and Timbaland collaboration always signifies an absolutely insane production, and the song True Blood is a prime example of what I like to call production perfection. True Blood was a song that Timberlake and Timbaland were originally writing for a Timbaland album, but J.T. loved it so much that he decided to keep it for his own album. If you listen closely, all of the samples used in this track give it a spooky feel, (just in time for Halloween!). During the chorus, you can hear faint wolf howls as well as heavy breathing and ghostly cackles that are sure to give you chills.

Mr. Perfect also injects some blues-rock in Drink You Away. The tune contains extremely raw vocals and guitar riffs that make this song very unique compared to the rest of the album. I feel like I’ve waited my whole life for a song this perfect. If you are a college student struggling with heartbreak, these lyrics have the best and most useful advice ever… You CAN’T drink someone out of your memory! (I can’t drink you away/ I’ve tried Jack/ I’ve tried Jim/ I’ve tried all of their friends/But I can’t drink you away) So don’t try it! (Now, now, I’m not saying not to go out and have fun with your friends, but be safe about it… ! OK back to Justin…) The feelings of pain and confusion evoked from Timberlake’s vocals will make any struggling 20-something want to sing ferociously in front of a mirror (and into their hairbrush). Say it with me everyone, P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N. Perfection.

Closing the album is a song that will make girls swoon all across America, especially all of you *NSYNC fans. Timberlake brings us back to his frosted- tipped, curly-haired days of boy band wonderland through Not A Bad Thing. With his love-infused lyrics and soft pop-like harmonies, he assures us that it is definitely not a bad thing to fall in love with him. OBVIOUSLY! The album ends with a hidden track (which I will leave to you to discover!) that leaves everyone with a smile on their face, because, admit it… Justin Timberlake, you have done it again. BRA-VO!

Visit his website for more!

Just your average 20-something year-old blogger/ College student/ Sleep enthusiast/ Singer-songwriter. Hazlet, NJ
Hey Guys!! My name is Elina and I'm the Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Ramapo Chapter here at Her Campus :)Right now, I'm a senior studying journalism at Ramapo College. My dream is to work in the field of entertainment news-- either through broadcasting or magazine journalism. Right now, I'm interning at Elvis Duran and the Morning Show and I am obsessed!!! I can only hope to continue on this road, and until then I'll be doing whatever I can to make that possible. Though I'm only a half-hour from school, I live on campus and wouldn't have it any other way. If I need some fam-time I'm close enough of a drive where it's not a hassle, and far enough where I have my space. I live with pledge sisters-- I'm a member of Sigma Delta Tau here at Ramapo. These girls are my LIFE!I hope you have as much fun reading our Her Campus chapter as we've had making it possible each week. HAPPY READING!! XOXOXFollow me for more:Twitter: @ElinaTarkInstagram: @Ella__XO (two underscores)