Who is QU Crushing on?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

You have been longing over that certain cutie since the beginning of the semester – catching quick glances in class and casual smiles in the cafe. You have wanted to confess your feelings for so long, but end up getting too nervous each time. You log onto Twitter, go onto the popular @QUCrushes account, and anonymously send them your feelings. After a few seconds, you finally hit send. Your secret is finally out – and no one knows it is yours.

The Twitter account, which is run by multiple students from Quinnipiac, began posting on March 24. The account currently has over 2,000 followers and 1,000 tweets.

If you yourself don’t follow @QUCrushes (which I recommend doing if you don’t already!), then you have probably seen a retweet on your Twitter feed. The Twitter account attempts to post a few crushes an hour.

“We try to find to find a balance between posting as many as we can and not blowing up your newsfeeds, but we have been receiving over a hundred each day and it can be hard to keep up without becoming obnoxious,” said the @QUCrushes Twitter account via e-mail.

Freshman Sammy Caruso, who has been tweeted about multiple times, said that it is a confidence boost to be tweeted about. Caruso likes not knowing who tweeted about her.

“I have absolutely no idea who tweeted about me, and I think that’s the most fun part about it,” she said.

Catie Abu, a freshman who was also tweeted about through the account, agrees with Caruso. To Abu, it’s like having a secret admirer.

Not all of the tweets, however, are confessing secret crushes. Some, instead, are confessing sexual desires towards other peers, often in vulgar, graphic terms or innuendos. Abu pointed out that the tweet about her was vulgar.

“I think the tweets could be a little more appropriate, but you have to remember it is also college so vulgarity is a given,” Abu said.

The @QUCrushes Twitter likes the submissions to be vulgar. However, they make sure not to cross any lines.

“We knew going into this that some of the crushes we would get would be more explicit than funny, but we filter everything we post as to not cross any lines. We don’t ever post anything too negative, this account was not meant to spread rumors or portray anyone in a negative manner. If we get contacted asking to take down a tweet, it gets removed immediately, no questions asked. But we keep them raunchy, we like that,” @QUCrushes creators said.

The @QUCrushes account was created after one of the creators of saw a retweet from the @URICrushes account on their personal Twitter feed.

“We immediately thought it was something that would take off at Quinnipiac,” said the @QUCrushes Twitter account.

No one knows what exactly is in store for the @QUCrushes Twitter account. Caruso, Abu, and the @QUCrushes account itself think that the account will have a future, as long as people keep sending in their secrets. The @QUCrushes creators hope that it is not a fad and will continue to run even after they graduate. Though they won’t reveal when exactly it is they are graduating, they plan on passing the account down to others to keep it running.

So, get out their girls, confess your secrets! Let the world know exactly what you’re thinking every time you see that hottie from the hockey team or the boy who helps make math class go a lot quicker because you’re staring at him. Say what you need to say, in 140 characters or less, of course.

Enter your secret crushes at ask.fm/QUCrushes.

To visit the Twitter profile for @QUCrushes go to www.twitter.com/qucrushes. 

Sami Moore

Quinnipiac