What I Learned My First Semester at QU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

1. BE INVOLVED. This doesn’t necessarily mean join every club you nervously signed up for at the Involvement Fair at the beginning of the year. Try going to a meeting for 1 or 2 different clubs. Clubs are always welcoming of new participants. If that’s not really your thing, then just try your best to be productive with your time! Go to zumba classes with friends instead of procrastinating in bed, or go to the piazza to do work instead of the library!

1. The people you met at orientation may be people you never really talk to again, or people you’ll be sticking with for the rest of the semester! Friends do come and go especially during first semester, so don’t be worried if the only time you see that person is when you pass them going to your 11am class.

1. READ YOUR SYLLABUS! Your professors aren’t going to remind you about next week’s assignment like they did in high school. Pay attention to what you have ahead of time, so you are able to organize your work and not stress out last minute.

1. It’s okay to change your major. 5 different times if you want to. You aren’t alone in this journey of “I don’t know what to do with my life.”

1. There are more resources around you than you think! The Learning Commons, office hours, your peers, the internet, textbooks, etc. Help is always provided to those who need it.

1. The sunsets are beautiful while being on campus. Take time to look at them, and find the perfect spot to sunset-gaze.

1. If you don’t already, use a reusable water bottle. There are so many hydration fill stations around campus, and it saves money (and the environment!) if you are constantly buying water bottles.

1. You don’t have to be best friends with everyone you live with, you just need to learn HOW to live with them. This means open communication, and respect to the roommate contract.

1. Grilled chicken, buttered pasta, and broccoli is a PRIME dinner meal. Even though they are all in separate food stands, it’s worth the time trying to put the dish together.

1. Chocolate milk runs out quickly at the Rat towards closing time. It has happened multiple times! So if you are a chocolate milk addict like me, take note of this!

1. No one really cares what you do. Everyone is just as anxious as you are. You are independent in this whole new environment. So be completely yourself, and your energy will attract the right people to you.

1. You are going to meet people of ALL types of personalities, from all around the world. With some, you will be like “Where have you been all my life?” and others, you just won’t be able to ever understand. This is okay.

1. You will be broke. All that money you saved will be spent on Ubers, nights in New Haven, Target runs, or late night deliveries from Dominos and Droogies.

1. Your RA is only looking out for you. It’s there job to make sure you are adjusting comfortably, so don’t be afraid to spark up a conversation when you see them: you’ll never know what advice or tips they might have for you.

1. You are going to miss your family and friends more than you thought you would. You will slowly lose contact with them, just because of the distance and difference in schedules. Keep in contact with them as much as you can: even if that means a 15 minute call or goodnight message. You learn a lot about your relationships with people when you are apart from them.

1. DECORATE YOUR ROOM! It makes everything more fun and colorful! During Christmas time, despite the decors around campus and staff dressed in ugly sweaters, it may not feel as festive in your dorm since it is towards the end of the semester which is filled with papers and presentations. Create some quick decorations to put up if you don’t have any (cut out paper snowflakes, put candy canes in jars, and then pack your best ugly sweater before you come back from Thanksgiving break.) Spend a night in drinking hot chocolate with your roomies with Elf on and this will make the atmosphere finally feeling festive before you leave!

Hi! I'm Erica. I love music, good quotes, memes, pandas, corgis, and sleeping.
Brooke Van Allen

Quinnipiac '19

Hi! My name is Brooke and I'm a Senior at Quinnipiac and the CC of our chapter. In addition to blogging, I am passionate about animal welfare, nature and environmentalism, holistic health, cooking, and travel (I Just returned from a semester abroad in Thailand). I'm a psychology major and am infatuated with the human mind and listening to and helping people with anything going on in their lives.