Valentine’s Day-Survival Guide for Single Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Valentine’s Day—a day of exchanging cards, flowers, and love with your special someone. Or should it be renamed “Singles’ Awareness Day”?

As you stroll down the aisles of every store you see heart-shaped candy and stuffed animals that just remind you that you don’t have someone to share this special day with. This holiday can cause a lot of people to feel lonely and depressed if they’re single.

But being single does not necessarily mean you have to be down in the dumps on February 14th this year. Instead of throwing a pity party, here are some ways to help ease the pain of spending the holiday solo.

Movie Night: Gather up a bunch of your single friends, and enjoy watching some movies and eating great food. Steer clear of chick flicks! Comedies and even horror movies would make better choices for this day. A Sex and the City marathon is a great idea for a girls’ night in.

Happy Hour: Why should you stay in and mope around on Valentine’s Day when you could be celebrating the fact that you’re single? Go out and meet new people while enjoying some delicious martinis! Grab some of your girlfriends, get dressed up and go to a bar or restaurant for some drinks. You’ll be sure to have a fun night.

Retail Therapy: Nothing can cheer up a girl better than shopping can. Hit up the mall for some new clothes, shoes, or even that expensive bag you’ve had your eye on for months.

Try Something New: Do something that you’ve always wanted to do, but never had the chance. Maybe you wanted to take a cooking class. Maybe you wanted to try that new Zumba class at the gym. Whatever it is, you’ll have a better time doing it than you would if you were staying home by yourself.

Hit the Spa: Take your single girls to a day at the spa for facials, massages, manicures and pedicures. Sometimes a relaxing day with the girls is all you need to be happy.

Be Happy: There is no reason to be upset just because you don’t have a boyfriend at the time. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, you should enjoy the fact that you don’t need a man to be happy. You don’t have to answer to anyone, and you can do whatever you want. Take this day to enjoy your freedom.

Jenna Doleh

Quinnipiac

Print journalism major at Quinnipiac