Top 5 Dates for the Poor College Couple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Although Quinnipiac is an extremely wealthy school, and many of its students are rolling in the cash, there are also a significant amount of stereotypical “poor college students.” Many students, such as myself, have to pay off some loans each month, pay for groceries, gas for the car, and books for our classes. We may have work study, but that only provides enough money for our bad habits each week! This leaves us little money for going on fancy dates with our significant others. But don’t you fear! I have 5 ideas for cheap dates right here:

1.Picnic: A picnic is one of the most romantic dates a couple could go on. A simple basket of food, each other’s company and a remote location is sure to make the sparks fly. The couple could bring the picnic to a park, the quad, by a lake, or even in the middle of the common room if it’s cold outside. The best part about this date is that it’s cheap! All you have to do is buy a few of your favorite snacks at the grocery store and pack them up to go.

2.Movie Night: Is there a movie you and your boyfriend have never seen? Borrow the DVD from a friend and set up a cozy movie night! Kick your roommates out of your common room for the night, and cool the mood down with candles and dimmed lights. Decorate the room with blankets and pillows to ensure optimal snuggling. This is a romantic and intimate date that requires absolutely no money.

3.Game Night: This is a great date to do just the two of you, or with a bunch of other couples. A game night is a great way to let the kid inside of you come out and act silly with your boyfriend. Games are a great way to smile and get competitive with each other or with other couples.

4.Hike the Giant: Hiking Sleeping Giant Mountain costs absolutely no money, and is a great way to bond with your partner. Not only is it a great form of exercise, but it allows a quiet atmosphere for you and your boyfriend to talk and better get to know each other. You will also get the added bonus of enjoying a beautiful view once you reach the top.

5.Baking Date: What better way to get cute with your partner than to bake cupcakes or some other baked good. This is an exercise that takes team work, precision, and is fun! Maybe even engage in a flour fight that ends with a chocolate kiss. And then indulge with the added treat of whatever it is you and your boyfriend baked. Yum!

No money? No problem! Use one of these date ideas and enjoy a fun and romantic evening with your boyfriend, without any added costs. 

My name is Ciara Duggan. I am a senior public relations major at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. I love to write about everything and anything and I love writing for Her Campus Quinnipiac.