Tips for Learning a New Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Tips for Learning a New Language

Not all student are required to take a language but some have to take a foreign language to meet their major requirements. As a Political Science major, I found myself taking Spanish this semester. Learning a new language can be difficult, here are a couple tips to help you get the best grade in your class! 

1. Watch YouTube videos!

Videos are very helpful because you learn how the words are pronounced and hear people who know the language using it properly. There are a lot of helpful YouTube channels that can help you learn conjunctions, grammar, and vocabulary words! There are also some catchy songs people have created that you can learn and will never forget!

2.  Ask your Professor for help!

They know how hard it is to learn a language and they are there to help you! Most professors are nice and always willing to help you out because they know you are working hard!

3. Find websites that are interactive!

There are a bunch of websites that will help you learn the new language! There are a bunch of free quizzes that will correct the wrong answers for you and help you learn what you did wrong!

4. Speak the language as much as you can!

Like I said learning a language is hard but practice makes perfect! Talking to a friend who also knows the language is a great way to help practice your skills. Another way you can practice is finding a friend in the class and practice talking together!

Overall, there are many ways to help you get a better grade in a foreign language class, the resources are all around you! So don’t give up! Keep trying! Good Luck!

A local environmentalist, Game of Thrones enthusiast, meme loving, Leo. When I am not doing homework catch me surfing twitter, watching Lemonade Mouth, or preaching about Climate Change!