Throwback Movies to Watch This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

The big question is, what are you doing to get into the Halloween spirit this season? It’s time to grab your popcorn and candy and let out your inner child with these classic movie throwbacks!

1.     “Halloweentown”

Can you believe it has been 17 years since this movie first aired? This is the first Disney Channel movie I can remember watching, so why not start off your nostalgic night with an original Halloween classic. To add to your Halloween spirit, you can even visit Halloweentown! In St. Helen’s, Oregon, the town sets up a replica of the entire movie set where people can celebrate Halloween every weekend in October.

2.     “Hocus Pocus”

Although this movie came out before most of us were born, none of us are strangers to this classic. Who could ever forget that singing number at the Halloween party? Winifred Sanderson had some pipes! I don’t know about you but I am still holding out for a sequel.

3. “Scooby Doo: The Movie”

I have always been a big fan of Scooby Doo and I can remember running to the movie theater when the actual movie came out! It was hilarious and terrifying all at the same time to a seven-year-old me. Another bonus is admiring the young Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard.

4.     “Gremlins”

This 80’s movie was added to my Halloween marathon list as a young teenager. Did you know that Howie Mandel voiced Gizmo? That is a scary thought in and of itself but who wouldn’t love this cuddly critter?

5. “Beetlejuice”

This movie is another cult classic brought to you by the twisted mind of Tim Burton. “Beetlejuice” is a movie that you question how it ever passed with a PG rating. Oh well, now that you’re older you get to laugh even harder at all the lewd and crude humor of this dark tale. Just don’t say his name three times.

6. “Nightmare Before Christmas”

Another Tim Burton classic! “Nightmare Before Christmas” is potentially the only movie that can get you excited for Halloween and Christmas at the same time. Who knew that a skeleton and a girl that is falling apart would make such a cute couple?

7. “Alvin & the Chipmunks: Meet the Wolfman/Meet Frankenstein”

Time for a double feature with your favorite singing chipmunks. The trio meet two of horror’s biggest legends in two movies that will make you want to hop into your PJs and eat some candy while these little guys get into some Halloween hijinks. Don’t forget to sing along!

What are some of your favorite throwback Halloween movies? Let us know by tweeting us @hercampusqu!

Drew Iorillo

Quinnipiac

Drew Iorillo is a current student at Quinnipiac University. She is a Cali-Country girl with a love for music and animals. Her likes include watching Netflix, Pinterest, and talking about her favorite TV hotties. Eventually Drew wants to be a talent agent and a photographer on the side. Stay in touch with her blog about new artists ontheryes.wordpress.com, and on her Pinterest (jnkgirl).
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com