Thrift Shopping Guide for the Fabulous & Broke College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Retail therapy is a very effective tool for stress relief, but not so much for your bank account. Thrifting is increasingly becoming a fun, new trend among our generation where you can find tons of fashionable YouTube videos on thrift hauls. It could also be daunting to try, for fear of the clothes being dirty, being that they are second-hand. Let me let you in on a little secret: most of my thrifted pieces are brand new with the tag still attached to it! I once bought a wool blazer for $7.99 that was originally $328. With that being said, allow me to introduce to you a whole new thrifty world. Here are some rules to help it be a wonderful experience. “I’m gonna pop some tags, only got $20 in my pocket…”

Rule #1: Bring a friend! – Strict rule don’t break it! Rule #2: Look for a place that donates money to a good cause and a non-profit.

Rule #3: Some places offer an extra 50% off specific color tags or on a specific day. Be on the lookout for extra savings! 

Rule #4: Don’t be afraid to try on everything! Sometimes something that is not usually your size will fit your body or a smaller size shoe will fit like a glass slipper because you two were meant to be! 

Rule #5: Look for quality pieces and brand names but do not limit yourself. I tend to Google the brand names to see what a shoe or jacket of that unknown brand would sell for. I am usually shocked!

Rule #6: Look for quality material. Trust me, thrift stores have quality items in there! I have found a silk robe, wool jackets, real Italian leathered shoes and handbags. I have even come across a mink coat!

Rule #7: Please wash your pieces. In addition, do not be afraid of a little stain that will come right off when you wash the item. 

Rule #8: Wash your shoes with an alcohol-drenched cotton ball or use Lysol to spray the inside of your thrifted shoe to avoid any issues. If a shoe is a little snug, the alcohol with help relax the material for a better fit.  

Rule #9: Stay away from undergarments! You will find them but I do not suggest risking it with undergarments.

Rule #10: Four years, four promiscuous Halloween costumes, many themed nights at the bar and a million dollars later! Save some money and get creative by heading to the thrift store to craft your future costumes. 

Rule #11: Enjoy your new fabulous steals! Flaunt them as if you bought them full price!

Happy thrifting, Collegiettes!

Soraya Melle

Quinnipiac

My name is Soraya Melle and I am a Senior Biology major/French minor with a pre-medical concentration at Quinnipiac University '17. My favorite thing to do is paint and draw. I am learning to play the piano and guitar (emphasis on learning)! I have kitten named Keanu and I am not too sure if she loves me or not.
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com